• Register Today It's free!

Lift?

Chef Sharkos

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
I have a 2000 Explorer EB 4.0 and I wanna get a 6” lift. I called my local 4Wheel Parts and they said they don’t have anything for it. What now? Are there no parts or what? Help lol. I live in Northern California so if anyone knows places in the area. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a lot of lift, I would consider how much money a 20 y/o 4.0L SOHC based vehicle is worth 'sinking into to do upgrades worthy of a 6" lift, vs expected engine lifespan.

I have a 2000 Explorer EB 4.0 and I wanna get a 6” lift. I called my local 4Wheel Parts and they said they don’t have anything for it. What now? Are there no parts or what? Help lol. I live in Northern California so if anyone knows places in the area. Thanks

C9024B83-CF3B-41AF-B66F-142399CFC9BB.jpeg
4396043E-5BD0-4770-98EF-F1CEEEA032EE.jpeg
E0F74BB2-15C1-4033-A6A6-44B3BC9AD8F9.jpeg

short version, There’s really not a market for lifting these explorers. Almost positive “Rough Country” didn’t even make a kit.

What started out as a $480.00 project ended up costing me $1000.00 when it was all said and done. The guy at the 4x4 place was able to do the front. But apparently everything went south when they got to the back end. I ended having to take it to a spring shop and have them re-arch the springs and I believe add a leaf or some thing like that. They also “lowered” the front end back down cause the guy had raised it so high it had the universal joints in a bind.
we leveled it, put some 31x10x50 on the stock rims and called it done. I wasn’t going to get crazy on my sons first car. Has 75,000 original miles on it and need it to last him through college

2 ways to get 6"...
sas

or
Rough country 5in Ford Ranger Lift Kit (98-11)
5"
and 2/3" body lift. 7-8" .......

with the rough country kit you need to flip the axle to the bottom of the springs and weld on new perches....

@2001SportOwner

I urge you to please spend some time here, reading up on the many threads, already covering the lift options, procedures, facts, and results. AFTER you have read up a bunch, and have obtained the proper knowledge, THEN attempt these simple mods. It's for your own safety, and others well being.

@2001SportOwner

I urge you to please spend some time here, reading up on the many threads, already covering the lift options, procedures, facts, and results. AFTER you have read up a bunch, and have obtained the proper knowledge, THEN attempt these simple mods. It's for your own safety, and others well being.
I have seen the bottle jack on spring method, which looks dangerous but the easiest way, I have watched countless videos of people using different methods, I chose what seemed safest for my first attempt, it worked, but will do the bottle jack to finish it up to the 3 inch mark.

8.5 inches StreetRays 2-3 inch lift shackles, made in Texas

Stock is 5.5". Yours are 3" longer, but...

You're shackles only offer 1.5" max lift, with perfect leaf springs. You have to divide by half, for shackle lift. For 3" of lift, your eyelet's would have to be 11.5" apart.

Don't be afraid to use the axle diff housing, to lift/lower the axle with a floor jack either. Just be mindful of the stock cover lip when doing it. With the vehicle weight supported by jack stands on the frame, and the axle supported with a floor jack, you can use the bottle jack between the springs/frame, and use both jacks to set the leaf bushings for bolt placement.

Like gmpaint said, do your research here before doing anything.

The simplest method to raise the rear 5.5" is to purchase some spring perches and move the leaf springs on top of the axle. Easy, done. It also moves all that stuff above the axle which makes it less prone to snagging on rocks. Superlift makes or had made spring over axle perches that use the OEM perches as landing pads for the new perches. No welding required. I have them on my Explorer for about 20 years. One side collapsed several years ago on the Rubicon trail. It was corrected with thicker steel and welding the perches to the axle. If you are not a serious off-roader they would last a lifetime.

The front IFS is an entirely different animal. If you want that kind of height, you need to spend some money on a custom coil over kit, or solid axle swap it.

Stock is 5.5". Yours are 3" longer, but...

You're shackles only offer 1.5" max lift, with perfect leaf springs. You have to divide by half, for shackle lift. For 3" of lift, your eyelet's would have to be 11.5" apart.

Don't be afraid to use the axle diff housing, to lift/lower the axle with a floor jack either. Just be mindful of the stock cover lip when doing it. With the vehicle weight supported by jack stands on the frame, and the axle supported with a floor jack, you can use the bottle jack between the springs/frame, and use both jacks to set the leaf bushings for bolt placement.
I will remeasure it , but it is already 2 inches higher for sure

Back