Lifted sport thinkin about droppin her! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifted sport thinkin about droppin her!

lifted or lowered

• lifted

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • lowered

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joshuaj0214

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0 Sport
I have a 98 sport lifted on 33's. I've been thinkin about droppin her about 2 inches lower then stock. I love wheelin but its beatin the hell out of the truck. I also love the sport truck look and handling. I have always had mustangs and even a 99 lightning and I miss the speed and tight handling of them. I have already done the 5.0 swap and perf. mods are to come in the near future so the speed will be handled. I am just starting to get tired of the tire noise and top heavy feel on my 35 mile trip back and forth to work everyday. Also the gas is killing me!!! When the truck was stock I got 290-320 miles to a tank, now i'm lucky to get 190! I could go on for days but I want some of your thoughts! Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF0439 (6).JPG
    DSCF0439 (6).JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 1,119

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO it looks a lot better stock height or lifted not lowered. If its in your budget look into getting a cheap 4banger for work (thats what I'm going to do). You could also switch back to stock 235/75/R15's that'd help with fuel mileage. <--my opinions only because I don't like lowered trucks. Whichever you do, good luck.

get a kelderman air ride kit, you can have 12" adjustable suspension...only $10k.

I hear you. gas is killing everyone lately.

You go low you gotta lose everything offroad, prerunner bumper, steel wheels and put 18" plus rims on that thing and then you will have a sick truck. It will just be pricey to get it to that point as well.

Would you be able to sleep at night knowing your truck may not even be able to climb a curb?

Mine used to be lifted with with 33's on 20" wheels, safari rack, and tube bumpers. Now it is lowered and turbocharged....

here is an old one of it lifted with the stock wheels...

lake020Large.jpg

and now....

IM000085Large.jpg

Lifted folks out number the lowerd folks here singificantly.

i must say your truck looks great as is.but i understand you issues.i lowered mine 3" and love it.i like lifted trucks,but like lowered ones even more! good luck!

Lifted folks out number the lowerd folks here singificantly.

Yes, they do. But that is to be expected, since that is what is usually done with SUV's.

I'm planning on getting a new explorer soon, and I want to lower it..but on the other hand I don't know if I could possibly live with myself for making it "less functional"

I don't know if I could possibly live with myself for making it "less functional"

you and I on any given turn infested asphault road and we will see who is "Less functional"
:p:

nice recovery...
:D

calculate out the money you would spend to lower the truck to gain maybe 2 mpg. It would probably take you years to recover the cost. If you want to do just to do it, then by all means have at it. I personally think your truck looks sick the way it is, in fact I am heading in that direction with mine.

If you are looking for gas mileage you got the wrong platform, no amount of mods to the truck will make it a super efficient vehicle, well within reason that is. Although aldive is the exception to the rule, there is no guarantee that you would even come close to his supremacy :)

well.. i say lower it, and sell me the body lift on the cheap. :)

well.. i say lower it, and sell me the body lift on the cheap. :)

Wow, I can't beleive you just lowered yourself like that. the guy hasn't even decided he wants to lower it. Jeesh...

So how much for the wheels and tires :D :p:

And how much for that bumper?

Bunch of Vultures!!! HAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for all of the input and please keep it coming. I drove her 65 miles last night coming home from the airport and after 20 I was annoyed by all of the noise. If I lowered it it would be sittin on 18's with the mounty front bumper.

Back