lifter inspection teardown and rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lifter inspection teardown and rebuild

BlakeOfDoom

Reaction score
City, State
murrieta california
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo
Is there any way to disassemble the hydraulic lifters in a 91 navajo? I had the heads replaced and since then there has been a persistent tick and misfire which has rendered the truck not drivable.

I deduced that a lifter was bad after I pulled off the valve cover, rocker arms and pulled out some pushrods; one of the lifters had a real "spongy" feel to it and was easy to compress and pull back up....

Instead of replacing the lifter is there any way I can pull apart the lifter; inspect it for damage, and reassemble it after everything checks out? What kind of damage should I be looking for? could the solution possibly be some kind of debris that got stuck inside? Or could coolant have gotten inside and caused it to collapse? :exp: :shoot:

Is there any way to disassemble the hydraulic lifters in a 91 navajo? I had the heads replaced and since then there has been a persistent tick and misfire which has rendered the truck not drivable.

I deduced that a lifter was bad after I pulled off the valve cover, rocker arms and pulled out some pushrods; one of the lifters had a real "spongy" feel to it and was easy to compress and pull back up....

Instead of replacing the lifter is there any way I can pull apart the lifter; inspect it for damage, and reassemble it after everything checks out? What kind of damage should I be looking for? could the solution possibly be some kind of debris that got stuck inside? Or could coolant have gotten inside and caused it to collapse? :exp: :shoot:
my lifters make a rattle noise on cold start ups.

Back