• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Lifter question

DR264

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XL, 96 XLT
I have a 93 with 115k. When i start it, it will tick, tick, tick, and then stop for a second and then start ticking again. Usually does this until it warms up. I just changed the oil and put in 20w-50, thinking it would quiet it down. Wrong, it made it worse. The ticking doesn't go away. I'm thinking sticky lifter? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dustin

olivesman

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie '91 Sport
ah man, i JUST got on here to start a thread about the same exact thing. what is wrong w/ my motor????! i know someone out there must have had this problem and knows the solution. who can help, please?

the ticking also accelerates w/ the motor's RPM's.

thanks a lot-russel

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
The lifters are a problem on the 4.0 usually need attention in the 85-100k range. Use thinnner oil may help, or a flush, but most likely the lifter itself is bad and needs replaced. Do a search plenty of hits will show up.

Stevens Parts Dead Link Removed in Tx and Vanir have take outs much cheaper than the dealer.

blinkgi

Reaction score
City, State
Oxnard, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 sport
lifter

I just put new gaskets on my 91 sport and foud that on one of the lifters ( they are roller lifters) was missing a little cotter key. I thought nothing of it and just put it back together(VERY STUPID, DO NOT DO THIS!!!). Now I have to take apart again, because the lifter ticks until it warms. So I think that your problem has to do with the same thing, theey get old and the key falls out or something