• Register Today It's free!

lifter tick and cam options

expobronc

Reaction score
City, State
Hayward, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 V8
Well all the lifter tick is starting to annoy me finally. I want to replace the entire valve train, lifters, cam, rockers (maybe) and springs. My question is... does anyone make a bigger bump stick for the pushrod 4.0? nothing too agressive, but I do have a 5 speed, so no need for a higher stall converter. Just want a little lopy sound and some more low end tq

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK so let’s start from the beginning.
A 5 speed does not require a Torque Converter.

Next, yes there are a lot of cams out there but you need to know all the info on your vehicle before you call a help line, like at Comp Cams.

Once all the data is gathered, i.e. weight, engine, gears ratio, 2 or 4 wheel drive, WHAT TRANS YOU HAVE and how do you want to drive it after the cam is installed, etc., call a cam manufacturer's help line. They can help you select a cam that will fill your needs.

Also, while the top end of the engine is completely apart, if this is a 4.0 you have then the heads have to come off to install the lifters, consider doing a valve job and anything else the heads need at the same time.

Good Luck,

let me know how it goes if you get a cam and how much it costs. Im thinking about one as well... Ive got a few things on the list... nicer TV, Supercharger, cam and a head port.... or just a new car. :)

nick

Oooh. I have a question about cams. How does that effect the engine? I have problems with pinging and what not right now... would a cam make the problem worse? I finnally thing I got it to stop.. but I would hate for a cam to make the dreaded ping come back.

nick

Comp Cams has 2 - about $275 - I run the 410-8 its a street grind decent off idle power good pull over 2500- be better if I had gears to match my tires. www.compcams.com

CamCraft can grind you one $300 or so - www.camcraftcams.com check the Ranger section.

I got custom pushrods from Smith Bros -www.pushrods.com

Flyguy- I would check the bigger Comp Cam if you have 3.73s and stock tires, should work well with the late model heads (higher comp), or even better call Camcraft.

Springs will depend on the cam- check with the mfr.

I have the Comp Cam and they were no help when it came to installation specs, spriongsd etc. Sven at Vanir was a good source. If I were to do it again I would go with a custom from CamCraft and get recommendations from them about springs, settings etc.

Good luck, do a search there are a few threads on cam installs.

Originally posted by Sandy
OK so let’s start from the beginning.
A 5 speed does not require a Torque Converter.

ok, I know thats why I said no need to worry about it :)

Who makes a good cam though?? reliablt company that can answer my q's??

Oh and the heads were done less than a year ago

I need to pass smog too.. I doesnt look like that camcrafts will.. but I think the compcams are smog legal.. am I right there?

nick

sometimes i really love living in iowa!!

I had pinking in my X but the STP blue in the oil has quieted things down considerably. rc

smog

Non of the cams are smog legal as far as I know. I have the comp cam, headers and a larger MAF and Tb and yesterday passed the Maryland dyno/tail pipe test. (I still had my KKm on also so I dont think they did a visual inspection... lucky me)

When I was putting my engine together I spoke with Sven about smog testing and he thought that the milder cams shouldnt have a problem with a tail pipe test. I think Camcraft says something similar on their site. And my experience says this is true. I think if you had a radical cam with lots of overlap you may have problems, but with the mild grinds used on the street in these engines shouldnt be a big deal.

Good Luck

Back