Lifter Tick | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifter Tick

M

Mike

My 91 explorer has began to have an intermitent lifter tick until the engine warms up.Has anyone else ran into this problem, and know of any easy fixes.The truck has used syntec oil since it was two years old changed every 4000 miles.I have read that the heads have to be removed to access the lifters, is this correct?

Thanks Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine does the same thing, most of the older 4.0's seem to do it with age/milage in my experience. To change lifters you have to pull the intake and valve covers but not heads. Although while you have it torn down that far you might as well change the head gaskets as the early ones had some problems here. I have yet to do mine as it still goes away shortly after start up. Hope this helped. JR

91 Sport 4x4
113K, 5spd

Sorry but you do have to remove the cylinder heads to remove the lifters. Believe me I've worked on a lot of these 4.0 engines. The 4.0L uses hydraulic roller lifters so they are longer than the conventional type lifters without rollers. Did you ever call around to see the price of lifters. I think only Ford Parts sells them. Wait till you see the price of the lifters. Dead Link Removed

I will quietly eat my crow for breakfast. Dead Link Removed Sorry about the incorrect info., guess I was misinformed. I always hate to lead someone astray, eventhough it may have been unintentional. JR

91 Sport 4x4
113K, 5spd

These damn lifters suck! I replaced mine at approximately 94,000k and just yesterday, they are starting to tick again. I hope that it is only b/c the temperature w/wind chill was -27, otherwise, it is the MAJOR downfall of the ford explorer. I paid $325.00 for the six lifters from Ford, but the good news is that you can get the set from vanirtech.com for I believe $190.00

Mike,
I can tell you from first hand experianc that you DO NOT have to pull the heads to remove the lifters. It is a good idea to pull them however if it is the first time you have torn it down. It is much more expensive to pull the heads but if you can afford it I would recomend it.

JAY

Jay,
I'm kind of curious on how you removed the lifters without removing the heads. I've done a lot of 4.0L cylinder head jobs and engines replacements and cant see how you can remove the lifters without removing the heads.

It really isn't that hard, it just takes patience. Once you can grab the lifter, most of them clear the head with out a problem. If I remember correctly you have to pop off the plastic cup on a couple of them though befor they will clear. I just pulled my cam last week with out pulling the heads, so I know it cam be done.

JAY

Jay,
I'll have to remember that next time I have a 4.0L engine torn down. Did you actually remove the lifters from the engine or did you just hold the lifters up when removing the camshaft. I know you can just hold the lifters up without actually removing them from they're bores, just enough so you can slide the cam out and install the new cam. Of course you'll have to use the old lifters with the new cam. Did you replace your lifters or just re-use the old ones..

I actually remove the lifters when I pull the cam, it is a pain in the butt trying to wire them up. I tried it once and got all frustrated.
I still have my origional lifters in. When I fist changed my cam out I only had 32,??? miles. When I rebuild the engine next time I will be switching lifters, these have been through 3 cams already.

Back