• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate window shattered

Shane Rideout

Reaction score
City, State
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
wife got into the exploder this morning and when she closed the door, the rear liftgate glass exploded. Mostly outward. Most of the glass was in the driveway. Anyone else have a problem or have heard of problems? Ford is closed on weekends. I hope there's not too big of a fight on Monday. This should be warranty. Bought in July has 10000 km on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Shane.:wave:
I believe that is the first such incident to be reported on the Forum. Should be warranty coverage on that. Check the Warranty Guide and it should say.
EDIT: The Warranty Guide only seems to refer to windshield "stress cracks" but I would be surprised if you were not covered for the liftgate window given the way it shattered.

Peter

I would assume as well that they will cover it.. whether they try to put up a fight at first.. maybe.

I'm going to see them bright n early on Monday.

My rear windshield shattered for no apparent reason. It just happened to me today when I was leaving Costco parking lot. It just exploded . I wanted to know if anybody else experienced it. I am not sure how much would this cost to replace the rear window. I wonder if there’s a recall for this.

probably around 600$ at least? I would check if insurance covers it. Was your rear window defroster on

Any chips or damage pre-existing to the ultimate total failure?

Usually this is covered by insurance, though it depends on what state.

This was semi-common on the Escapes of the same era (pre 2013 refresh), I think there may have been a TSB or recall (big difference, granted)--either way it was a non-trivial failure rate. First I've heard of this on the Explorer.

My rear windshield shattered for no apparent reason. It just happened to me today when I was leaving Costco parking lot. It just exploded . I wanted to know if anybody else experienced it. I am not sure how much would this cost to replace the rear window. I wonder if there’s a recall for this.
No recall on any windows. Ford OEM liftgate window shows as $263.23 on the following site. Not sure what installation would cost. As others have mentioned, check with your insurance company first. Glass - Lift Gate for 2012 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

There’s no chips and the defroster was on. I will check with my insurance if they cover it

Thanks everyone for your help.

So my rear window shattered on the weekend. I was walking up to it at Costco, and hit the remote open. Then I heard what sounded like ice falling off the back. It was the glass. I have no idea what happened.

Any thoughts?

Did you visit the same Costco as the member in post #5?? So far it doesn't seem like any reason has been given for this problem. The only connection seems to possible be cold weather as the others happened in January and February.

Peter

Did you visit the same Costco as the member in post #5?? So far it doesn't seem like any reason has been given for this problem. The only connection seems to possible be cold weather as the others happened in January and February.

Peter
Thanks for putting this in the right bin.
This was the Gatineau Costco. (now the $250 dollar store, deductible). Was not very cold, no defrost on. There is a complaint on the NHTSA site for this.
I will mention it to the dealer, but strange.

I’ve heard of two people this happened to off the forum. Yet another bizarre issue related to the newer Explorer’s.

This happened to me last week.

Hit the remote start and then the window shattered. Below freezing outside so the rear defrost probably was activated. I had a similar issue on my F150 rear window.

To make matters worse, now the rear wiper motor is not working.

This happened to me last week.

Hit the remote start and then the window shattered. Below freezing outside so the rear defrost probably was activated. I had a similar issue on my F150 rear window.

To make matters worse, now the rear wiper motor is not working.
Rear defrost has to activated manually.

Peter

Rear defrost has to activated manually.

Peter

From the owners manual: "In cold weather, the system is set to 72°F (22°C). The heated seats are set to high (if available, and selected to AUTO in the information display). The rear defroster and heated mirrors automatically turn on."

In the future it would help if you checked the owners manual as there is a lot of information there.

From the owners manual: "In cold weather, the system is set to 72°F (22°C). The heated seats are set to high (if available, and selected to AUTO in the information display). The rear defroster and heated mirrors automatically turn on."

In the future it would help if you checked the owners manual as there is a lot of information there.
I reread your initial post because your reply made me think that the condition in your reply only happens with Remote Start. Sorry, I forgot you used Remote Start. That then makes sense. It wasn't not knowing what the Manual said, just a problem with reading comprehension.:(

Peter

So my rear window shattered on the weekend. I was walking up to it at Costco, and hit the remote open. Then I heard what sounded like ice falling off the back. It was the glass. I have no idea what happened.

Any thoughts?
My rear glass exploded yesterday when I closed the front door. Recently purchased 2016 Explorer Sport. Certified vehicle with warranty. Dealer states that rear glass is cosmetic and not covered. Seriously?!?! They also admitted this is a known issue. I understand if the issue is so infrequent that there’s no recall. But I shouldn’t have to make multiple calls and then be treated as though they are doing me a big favor when this is a known issue. They finally agreed to do it as a “good will” gesture; I still have to pay deductible. I bought this vehicle to accommodate my growing family, I don’t really have time to be messing around with spontaneously exploding, “cosmetic” windows!!!

Cosmetic? It keeps dangerous exhaust gasses from drafting up into the cabin........ Oh. Wait, those are already inside.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No reason to be a jerk towards Peter, as someone who has more then 21,000 posts on here with just about every one of them helping members out, this in uncalled for.

On a separate note, thank you for all your contributions and time with your 50 posts in almost 8 years.

Back