• Register Today It's free!

Lifting A 3rd Gen

edgar_88

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
Ok guys, pardn my ignorance because i know theres plenty of threads on here regading lifting the 3rd gens, but i have a few questons. I've talked to truck experts,not neccessarily 3rd gen explorer experts,and they've said that the best way to lift a truck with A-Bar suspension is spindles in the front, and blocks in th rear. Not coil springs. Now these guys reccomended this without taking a look at my car, just on prior truck knowledge. They also said that the coil springs can somehow damage your ball joints. But what i see in these forums, is everyone goes with the coil springs, and someone on here told me awhile back that its not possible or conventional to lift a 3rd gen with spindles. MY question is: why??? Im no truck expert, and i want to give my Ex a solid 3inch lift. So why do some people tell me spindles, and others coil springs??? Thanks to anyone who can answer my question!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Because those who tell you spindles, don't know anything about 3rd gens, they don't make lift spindles for our trucks, and you can't use "blocks" in the rear, it is not a "truck" with a solid rear axle.
Coils are your ONLY option, other than Rancho quicklift.

Well, Edgar_88, they are experts at what they do, but if they've never seen or worked with a 3rd gen, they are not experts in this area. Considering that people tend to give a negative review of what they don't know, rather than saying they don't know, you would also have to ask: How does Rancho's system work? One has an extended spring (Coilsprings), the other an extended strut (Rancho).

Something has to work, if the experts don't know what works... I don't know what to say. Everyone here that has Coilspriings is pleased... I have not heard of spindles yet. I'm no expert either, but Coilsprings work, and work well.

I've tried both CS and Rancho... IMO, Ranchos work well on the rear, I didn't have success with Ranchos on all wheels. I had success with CS on all wheels; I also had success with Ranchos on the rear and CS up front. I know nothing of the spindle concept.

I lifted mine last week using 2" longer coil springs from King Springs. Here's a transition of it's ride height.

Stock:
25-Explorer_3qtr_CSA_Haze.jpg

Lowered:
Explorer_Low_Side_1.jpg

Lifted (with 30.5" tyres - going 31" or 32" soonish):
Explorer_Lift_1-med.jpg

Explorer_Lift_2-med.jpg

Explorer_Lift_3-med.jpg

Looks good JCUZ :thumbsup:

Well, Edgar_88, they are experts at what they do, but if they've never seen or worked with a 3rd gen, they are not experts in this area. Considering that people tend to give a negative review of what they don't know, rather than saying they don't know, you would also have to ask: How does Rancho's system work? One has an extended spring (Coilsprings), the other an extended strut (Rancho).

Something has to work, if the experts don't know what works... I don't know what to say. Everyone here that has Coilspriings is pleased... I have not heard of spindles yet. I'm no expert either, but Coilsprings work, and work well.

I've tried both CS and Rancho... IMO, Ranchos work well on the rear, I didn't have success with Ranchos on all wheels. I had success with CS on all wheels; I also had success with Ranchos on the rear and CS up front. I know nothing of the spindle concept.

well they are experts in customizing trucks but lifted 3rd Gen Explorers arent very common, at least no out here in San Diego so i dont blame them for not knowing something theyve probably never worked on. they were just popping some advice in my direction. Thanks for straightening it out for me though roadbully and donner, about how much does the set of 4 coilsprings cost and where did u guys get them from? and do you guys know of anywhere to get cheaper tires and rims from?? cause that really gets expensive!!

Anytime :) You should expect to pay from $400 to $525 for coil springs from Coilsprings.com I'd call them, no email... Tires and rims in San Diego, I can't say. But in OC, Discount Tires has or can order tires, wheels, etc...

How much of a lift (front/rear) are you planning on?

I still have those Ranchos for the rear wheels (2") If you order springs for the front, and use ranchos for the rear w/your oem springs, you could save $$$. And if you want to go with those, let me know.

I did 2.75 front and rear...

Looks good JCUZ :thumbsup:

Thanks. I'd love your rolling stock combo but there's no way I can afford it now -springs and new 16" rims will come out of tax cheque as it is!

Sweet! Are you going with MTs or ATs? Have you found a tire/wheel shop?

Sweet! Are you going with MTs or ATs? Have you found a tire/wheel shop?

im ganna go with AT's, and there are PLENTY of tire/wheel shops around here, i was just wondering if anyone knew of a website that sells them cheaper

hey Roadbully, what size rim do you have on yours???

Back