• Register Today It's free!

Lifting A 91 For Dummies Link?

L.A.X

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer EB
I have a 1991 Ford Explorer. Mostly stock except for exhaust and some engine components. Looking to get either some 31s or 33s on it. I've searched thru the forum and have soaked up all the info I can concerning lifts and such. Before putting on bigger tires, I understand it would be best to change the old coil springs and shocks. My question is with body lift spacers. How many spacers do I need for a lift? How many body lift points on the Explorer is there? Can I go to the junkyard and pull some rubber spacers from other Explorers or should I go new? The reason I ask is I'm trying to go the cheapest route possible. Also, I don't understand this whole manual and auto hub thing. I've read that its beneficial to have the manual hubs, since my autos work, should I just ride them until they break?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can usually get away with a small 1 - 2" lift that will allow you to run 31's. Body lifts are cheap, but they can cause other problems, especially with automatics. It's better to raise the suspension versus raising the body off the frame.

Cheapest "suspension" lift you can do to a first gen is usually a spacer underneath the coil and a shackle lift in the rear.

If you have a junkyard near you then you may be able to source some F150 coil spacers (do a search here and you should find plenty of info about them).....but they seem to be getting harder and harder to find. You can buy some spacer lift kits and those will run around $120 or so. Also, you can make your own spacers, which is what I did...but that turned out to be a 3-day process which involved some welding and general tinkering and while it works, if I had to do it again - I would've just bought the kit. Shackle lifts are fairly straight forward.....you replace the stock spring shackle with one that is longer which effectively increases the distance between the spring and frame.....shackles are usually under $50.

If you're wanting to run 33's, you're looking at at least a 4" suspension lift kit but you may encounter some rubbing issues, so a 5.5" would be best - but the price on those runs around $700 for a bargain basement kit and around $1000 for a quality kit.

As to your question about manual hubs and auto hubs......

Manual hubs require you to get out and manually turn the knob on the hub to lock the hub to the prop shaft. Most people who actually wheel prefer manual hubs because they don't fail as easily, they're stronger, and they don't unlock unless you unlock them or they break which means they stay locked no matter what direction the wheel is turning. The biggest con is that if you're stuck axle deep in mud and need to engage the hubs....you're getting dirty.

Auto hubs biggest advantage is convenience....they will engage when you engage the transfer case due to the speed differential between the shaft and the wheel itself so you don't have to get out of the truck to lock the hubs. However, this is also one of the biggest disadvantages....if you change directions then the hub unlocks and then locks again which can induce a failure during rapid forward and reverse motion. They're also weaker than manual hubs due to their design.

If you're not doing anything serious then you should be fine with the auto hubs, but you might want to switch to manual hubs in the future. You can find some Rangers around the early 90's model years than had Warn manual hubs on them which was an option IIRC, which makes it a lot cheaper to convert to manual hubs, otherwise you're looking at around $150+ to do a conversion.

I pulled manual hubs off of a Bronco II last weekend. Got them for 10 bucks each. Thanks for the info. I have a few wrecking yards around me. Plus my neighbor owns one. I'll pull the F150 parts this weekend. 31s here I come

I might as well ask everything that I've been pondering. What donor car would have a huge trans cooler?

31s fit fine at stock height, might need to hammer a couple spots inside the fender that you'll never see, but they will fit with very very minimal rubbing.

Bronco II hubs will not work unless you got them off a late model with a true dana 35.

The easy way to tell the Dana 35 from the 28 is to count the bolts. The data 35 has 10 bolts you can see from the front while the Dana 28 has 11.

I've only seen a couple Dana 35 equipped BII's in the yards.. Its pretty rare..

~Mark

The one difference there is the 35/28 hybrid. 35 housing, with 28 parts.

Actually got the manual hubs from an old Bronco. Just came across the F150 coil spacers and got the shackles. Will install this weekend.

Will a 31 fit under my Ex as a spare?

I want to mount the 31s on stock black steel rims. Who wants to trade for my stock alloys ?

Will a 31 fit under my Ex as a spare?

Yes, a 31x10.50 will fit under there.. Barely, at full pressure.

I was able to fit a 32x11.50 under there BUT only if I lowered the pressure to 15psi (I carried a small compressor under the back seat anyway).

Those spares were on the factory steel spare wheel..

~Mark

F150 shackles will not work on an explorer. If i read you correctly, you bought spacers and shackles from an F150.

The spacers were from an F150. The shackles were from 4WheelParts

Bronco hubs won't work. Bronco's came with Dana 44 front axles, and a different lug pattern.

What year f150 do the coil spacers have to come off of? I have a 91.

What year f150 do the coil spacers have to come off of? I have a 91.

When I looked up the f2tz5a307a spring seat (thats for 1 side) from This Thread on EF, I came up with 89 92 93 94 95 96 for 2wd years..

You know you have the right one when it has a pin on the bottom to help located and keep the seat from spinning. Also, there is no provision for a sway bar attachment. If you don't see the pin, or it has the place for a sway bar to attach, its the wrong part.

~Mark

Back