• Register Today It's free!

lifting a 92 ex sport

johnsonhalo

Reaction score
City, State
hell hole arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Sport 4X4
right now my ex sport is on a 3" body lift, and i was gonna swap that out for a 4" suspension lift, due mostly to the fact that it overheats way to easily. with the body lift my radiator sits too high, and after installing 2 elcetric fans as well as a larger stock fan i still can't make a long drive during the day.

i've been researching the lifts and common problems that come with them, and it seems like the camber is the most common along with caster, not entirely sure what caster is. but if i swapped my front end for a solid axle rather than the pivot(i think it's a pivoting) i wouldn't have to worry about either would i?

also on a scale from one to ten, ten being i'll be ready to snap wrenches in half. how frustrating would this swap & lift combo be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's true, a body lift won't do that. Especially with two electric fans. There are a few causes. Your water pump lay need replacing, I have seen the impeller desentagrate but the rest of the pump was fine. Clogged radiator, only thing to do is change it, if you have a 5 speed, buy the auto radiator. It could be a cracked head or head gasket. Knowing the OHV, this is probably the culprit. Sorry to tell you that, but the first gen head have many weak points and fracture a lot.

As far as the lift, every body seems to love James Duff. Camber is how far your wheels lean in or out. Lifting a TTB will get you this \-/. the drop brackets that come with the lift will help keep the geometry correct. You will still have to get an alignment after installing.

Mmkay. I'll look into other causes, but the body lift is still gonna go when i get my suspension lift. With the 3" and my light rack i have to avoid parking garages. And the duffy lifts look nice, but they are slightly above my price range. I have the kit i want picked out, and also want to do the sas eventually but i was thinking that the camber was a big problem. Here's hoping it's not a cracked head

Mmkay. I'll look into other causes, but the body lift is still gonna go when i get my suspension lift. With the 3" and my light rack i have to avoid parking garages. And the duffy lifts look nice, but they are slightly above my price range. I have the kit i want picked out, and also want to do the sas eventually but i was thinking that the camber was a big problem. Here's hoping it's not a cracked head

you still will have problems with your light rack hitting even with a suspension lift.camber is not a problem if you get a real lift,it will come with the brackets.if you plan on going to a sas then i would just wait to buy a lift as whatever you buy now wont work with the sas.JD makes a bolt on SAS kit,i would keep the bl on there till you can afford the JD kit,they make the best stuff on the market!!witch fans do you have and are they pushers?you still have the stock fan too?you have other problems if you are over heating

2 pushers. Just your standard electric fan from oriely. The superlift is what i was gonna go with. Even if i got it i wouldn't be able to install it until december due to uni. I'll consider a JD. Mainly i want to fix the overheating

anyone got a link to this jd sas kit? very much intrested

It looks like they haven't released the kit yet but all the parts are on there page

anyone got a link to this jd sas kit? very much intrested
The kit isnt out yet. But you can get every part needed to do the swap now except the shock hoops. Thats is the only thing not final yet. Check out my build thread for pics of the setup. I run it on mine and am very pleased with it. Rides great on the road and works awesome off the road. Well worth the money.

If you interested in the stuff call James Duff and ask for my buddy Brad. He knows all the parts needed for the swap.

i missed their business hours today, but if someone has ordered their 5.5" lift is it possible to just get the parts needed for the lift, ie springs extended arms, etc?

I have a 92 sport 4x4 manual tranny, and the over heating thing got nothing to do with the lift, as when I bought my explorer it had a 3" bodylift on it and after 2 years I added a 4" suspeionsion lift to it. 4 years later I removed the bodylift as I was also rebuilding the top end of the engine at the time cause it wouldn't run right and was also overheating at times. I found that simply replacing the heads instantly fix the problem. Ran better, started up right away, the coolant wasn't dissapearing anymore.....By the way have your engine ever been rebuilt? If you go that route do it before removing the bodylift, more clearance............

i doubt it's been rebuilt, but i was considering doing that when i've got the time and space to rip the thing apart. did you just get stock replacement heads, or aluminum? and i haven't noticed my coolant disappearing, but that may have something to do with blowing 3 of my hoses on the freeway about a month ago. with the bl and the suspension lift how stable was it? i do daily drive my truck, and don't really want to sit ridiculously high, or get new tires...

They don't make aluminum heads for the ohv

mmkay. i don't know too much about this engine if you couldn't tell. i'm more used to chevy(yah, i know) small blocks. thanks for the help so far by the way.

Well as you see alot of us here upgrade to later model heads cause it really all we got that are cost worthy. I got rid of my bodylift to get rid of some of the wobbly affect I felt driving at highway speeds and I also simply didn't like the look either.

Back