Lifting a '95-01 IFS Article | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifting a '95-01 IFS Article

TheRookie said:
I fit a set of 33's on a 98 sport with only a 3 inch bl and tt. Trimming was needed but not terrible. little metal and fair plastic. but you couldnt tell anything was cut from the outside

Well, a sport has bigger front fenders and yours had 5" of lift. It probably wasn't too hard fitting 33s in your case.

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only did the TT to 1 inch. making 4 inches. The fender difference is true

ExplorerDMB said:
I do not think it is possible. I have 7" of lift (via 4" suspension, 3" body) and I can only clear 33s without rubbing!

-Drew

7 INCHES OF LIFT YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO AT LEAST 35'S

I HAVE JUST TORSIAN BARS CRANKED AND I CAN PUT 33'S ON AND THEY JUST RUB A VERY LITTLE AT FULL TURN...

Like everyone has said - every truck is different. I do not rub, and I had 34s at one time. But people do not realize what size my 33s are. Most 33s are 32.6 while mine are about 33.4 -- so really mine are still 34s! I didn't not want to put 35s due to the stress on the front Dana35. I'm glad I didn't put 35s on or I would rub like mad at full lock. I also did not want to trim. I think the the truck is fine with 33s with 7" of lift.

-Drew

Trailmaster Vs. Superlift : Info On Both

Many people don't really know the difference between the two kits. To be honest, they have small differences, but they both reach the same goal. The biggest draw back of the Trailmaster kit is that it does not use a full-blown spindle, it uses only a spacer. Superlift, on the other hand, uses a full spindle, which both kits achieve the upper control arm at the same angle (close to stock). I've taken pictures of my Trailmaster kit on my truck to show some differences between the Superlift and Trailmaster kits!

Superlift Front Side Suspension:

sptrac_bajaskid.jpg

Trailmaster Front Side Suspension:

22915000_0501_small.JPG

Trailmaster Front Crossmember:

22915000_0500_small.JPG

You can see how the Trailmaster kit maintains the origional spindle, and uses drop down brackets for the rack and pinion. Some say the drop down brackets are cheesy and somewhat pitiful, but I have expierenced no problems. If you look at the actual rack and pinion, on the Superlift kit you can see the horrible angle that the kit puts on the rack. The Trailmaster kit doesn't put the strain on the rack and pinion! I think Trailmaster did a great job on that part. The crossmembers are different, but they serve the same purpose and get the same job done!

Trailmaster Upper Control Arm/Spindle Spacer:

22915000_0499_small.JPG

This is Trailmasters flaw. This is used on the Explorer and Ranger kits that they put out for these years vehicles, and they haven't had any problems with them, but people find them to be not as reliable as a full spindle like Superlifts. I couldn't find a picture of the Superlift spindle, but it's basically just a full spindle to connect the lower control arm to the upper control arm (like factory).

Superlift Rear Suspension:

22915000_0495_small.JPG

I have the Superlift rear suspension on my truck (except shocks), because I modded the Trailmaster Ranger kit to fit on mine. Anyway, the Superlift and Trailmater rears are the same: Huge drop down brackets for the sway bar, 4" leaf springs, and all the bushings.

Trailmaster Drop Down Brackets:

Crossmember and DANA 35-IFS Brackets:
22915000_0498_small.JPG

Torsion Bar Brackets, and Tranmission Brackets:
22915000_0497_small.JPG

22915000_0496_small.JPG

The Superlift and Trailmaster setups are very similar. Besides the spindle and the rack and pinion, the kits are pretty much the same. In my opinion, the Superlift kit is the better of the two. The Trailmaster kit came out first, which in turn, gives Superlift the advantage to fix Trailmasters flaw (i.e. spindle setup). I give both companies thumbs up!

-Drew

I'm very interrested, but what of the shock fitting issues that JDraper had?

I'm glad you brought that up. If you look in the front suspension pictures of the Superlift kit, you can see they are the same shocks that JDraper had. Now, I do not know if those (the ones pictured in my thread) caused any problems, but that is a big issue. If you do buy the Superlift kit and run into a problem with the shocks and the half shaft hitting - contact Superlift immediately and get it figured out!

-Drew

Superlift did correct the problem I had and shipped me new shocks that fit properly.

I can't see that the superlift has a bad angle to the rack (tie rod). The lifted spindles change the tie point for the steering as well. I think superlift did a better job by including a complete spindle, rather than cutting corners with drop brackets and ball joint adapters. Just my $.02.

seafarer76 said:
I can't see that the superlift has a bad angle to the rack (tie rod). The lifted spindles change the tie point for the steering as well. I think superlift did a better job by including a complete spindle, rather than cutting corners with drop brackets and ball joint adapters. Just my $.02.

Both superlift and Trailmaster use drop brackets. You have to on a suspension lift. The spindle DOES NOT change the tie rod point for the steering. The place for the tie rod is moved up on the spindle, but if you look at the rack itself, the angle on it is bad! I don't think you are looking at the right stuff. Look at how the boot is off of the rack -- it is angled down. I included two pictures to show: but yes, the tie rod joints have the same similar angel, but the Superlift one seems to put more stress on the rack!

-Drew

Attachments

• 000_0501_small2.JPG
    000_0501_small2.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 4,714
  • superlift.bmp
    87.3 KB · Views: 4,701

Yeah that angle from the tie rod to the rack does look kinda large. It does seem that when turning the rack would have a lot of upward force put on it? I guess that just means don't turn the steering wheel while your parked, which I try to avoid doing anyways...

r37ribution said:
I guess that just means don't turn the steering wheel while your parked, which I try to avoid doing anyways...

That is a good habit to get into. But I haven't heard any problems from people with the Superlift kit about the steering. So, I guess it's okay.

-Drew

I run the Superlift, and I dont have any problems with the steering. I really like the lift, no complains other than the drop down brackets kinda block my access to the tortion bolts. I will post a picture of it later.

DMB you dont wheel your truck?

There's no where to "wheel" in VA! All people do is mud boggs. And if I was going to build something for wheeling, I would of picked something else. All my build was for was expierence, and yeah looks. But I'm trying to specialize in 4wd/drivetrain and get my engineering degree from UVA. I can tell you the first thing I do once I graduate, move to somewhere where there is more call for 4wd stuff!

-Drew

EDIT: If I was to really wheel my truck, like Rick for example, I would have to do an enormous amount of things. I wouldn't mind going through trails that are pretty easy with my truck, but I'd rather do the "rock climbing" type stuff. In my opinion, an Explorer is the last place for a trail rig. Atleast not one of my year model (2000) -- and with the expense of parts, it's just not feasable for someone like me. I'd much rather build a rig from nothing or work on a customers vehicle and get paid for it. Also, all of this is my opinion!

would this kit work on my 2 door '96? If not, is there one that would?

You may want to contact Superlift or Trailmaster - but I wouldn't see a problem with it. I don't think anyone on here has a 2dr with an actual suspension lift.

-Drew

wdgross06 said:
would this kit work on my 2 door '96? If not, is there one that would?

I have a 96 sport with the lift... it will work. sheesh..

1771151.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

daaaaamn dude how'd ya do dat?

Back