Lifting a 98 XLT and R n R Upper and Lower Control Arms, Driver and Passenger Sides | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifting a 98 XLT and R n R Upper and Lower Control Arms, Driver and Passenger Sides

RER_98FRXLT

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Forgive my lack of initiative to look for myself, but current Harley repair leaves no flat spot available for safe look myself.

1. Is there a good safe spot to lift the whole front end of the vehicle in one lift? Using a floor jack. Just want to pre-spray some nut buster fluid on the CA parts a couple of times before tackling.

2. When you are replacing both upper and lower CA's, is there a preferred order to do so? My Chilton does not tell me. Based on the Chilton my inclination is upper first? Any advice

I’ve lifted mine by the front crossmember dozens of times.

It will probably be easier to pull the upper off first and put the lower back on first so it is supporting the knuckle. Otherwise upper or lower first shouldn't really matter, just pull the whole knuckle off -OR- leave the tie rod on and rotate it towards the front of the vehicle propped up on a really sturdy box (I used an upside down plastic recycling bin, roughly 18" tall).

you can lift the truck by the front crossmember, go slightly to the drivers side and the truck will come up evenly (the fuel tank has the truck lean to the drivers a bit)
Then support the truck by the frame rails behind the front suspension or even better if you have tall enough jack stands support it up behind the front bumper........let the front suspension hang in the air, But BEFORE YOU DO THIS:

MEASURE the height of your fender lips on each side BEFORE you take anything out or jack the truck up, write down the height (usually around 30.5" for Gen II explorer)
Also mark (spray paint works good here) the torsion bar adjuster bolts, so you can put them back in to the same depth.
You can replace the uppers and lowers in any order you wish, just make sure you mark the old uppers so you can put the new ones in the same spot.
I would remove everything above the LCA first. Then remove the torsion bar adjusters and t bars, replace the lowers, install the t bars and adjusters, then re assemble the knuckles, upper control arms etc.....
Remember the UCA through bolts do not get torqued until after the truck is sitting on the front tires! Upper control arm bushings have a pre load to them, they have a range of motion. If you torque them own BEFORE you set the truck on the ground you will twist and rip your new UCA bushings.....I see this alot. New UCA and a new squeek squeek.... premature tightening of the UCA bushings!

Back