Lifting Questions?

DillonMarino

Reaction score
City, State
West Pittston, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Mazda Navajo
Howdy All

New member here and this is my first post. I have a '94 Navajo with 180,000 on it and I figure it's about time I lift it. Does anyone have any info on kits that I should or more importantly shouldn't buy? Any problems I should be expecting and things I should be ready for?

thanks

Dillon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how high you wanting to go...i have the super lift 5.5....its not to bad.

I want to go as high as I can go without having to play with the drivetrain. Any idea on how high

I have a superlift 5.5, it works ok for me. Remember bigger tires need lower axle gears (numerically higher).

I have a superlift 5.5, it works ok for me. Remember bigger tires need lower axle gears (numerically higher).

Not true at all.

A 5.5" suspension lift is the biggest offered, there are also 4" kits, 3" body lift kits and 2" suspension spacer kits.

I ran 5.5" superlift and 3" bl with 33's for almost a year with stock 3.73 gears. It wasnt bad at all.

If you can find them, skyjacker kits are suppost to be the strongest built with the best coils but they are no longer made so you would have to find them used.

no money for bigger ones

it all depends on your ex but i've heard some 5.5 lifts require a longer drive shaft..which ofcourse is part of y our drive train..and if you were plannin on goin beyond 31s with stock gearing..your in for some pains in your behind..i run 3.27 stock gearing with 31s..and i kno i cant go any bigger wihtout gears..im runnin 35s on 4.56s very soon..and with my 4in lift..i am stuck with these 31s because i didnt want to buy 33s and then get 35s once im done witht he body lift..and i cant afford thegears to do the body lift yet lol..so im stuck in the middle..

my two cents

As the others have mentioned there are various options available to lift an Explorer... Some are more suited for on-road driving, while others replace the factory suspension to give improved off-road handling.. Once you determine the type of use your truck will see you can better determine the types of lift best suited to achieve your goal. Browse through the site and use the search function and you'll quickly get up to speed with what types of lifts people are running.

If you can find them, skyjacker kits are suppost to be the strongest built with the best coils but they are no longer made so you would have to find them used.

A note of correction..
Yes the official Skyjacker Explorer lift is no longer listed on SkyJacker's site, but the Kit is the same as Ranger's. When all the crap with FirerStone, U-Haul, and roll overs were taking place Skyjacker removed the Explorer listing from their site to distance themselves from liability and lawsuits. Anyway if you peek at the installation manual it list the kit for the Explorer. See: :hammer: SkyJacker Class II Installation Instructions

SkyJacker Class II 6" lift (Ranger)

As the others have mentioned there are various options available to lift an Explorer... Some are more suited for on-road driving, while others replace the factory suspension to give improved off-road handling.. Once you determine the type of use your truck will see you can better determine the types of lift best suited to achieve your goal. Browse through the site and use the search function and you'll quickly get up to speed with what types of lifts people are running.

A note of correction..
Yes the official Skyjacker Explorer lift is no longer listed on SkyJacker's site, but the Kit is the same as Ranger's. When all the crap with FirerStone, U-Haul, and roll overs were taking place Skyjacker removed the Explorer listing from their site to distance themselves from liability and lawsuits. Anyway if you peek at the installation manual it list the kit for the Explorer. See: :hammer: SkyJacker Class II Installation Instructions

SkyJacker Class II 6" lift (Ranger)

So the 8in skyjacker lift for the ranger with frt coil/rear leafs should fit the explorer

So the 8in skyjacker lift for the ranger with frt coil/rear leafs should fit the explorer

They don't display the 8" lift manual, but it would most likely require additional mods outside of the kit (longer drive shafts etc).. IMO I wouldn't lift an Explorer more than 6" while still retaining the TTB Dana 35 front end. If I were going for more than 6" I put my $$ into a SAS (Straight Axle Swap) and not waste any money or time with the D35.

You haven't answered the question of why you want to lift your truck and how it will be used.

Back