Lifting the 94 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifting the 94 Explorer

...You can find some pretty useful info by clicking the "How To" in my signature..;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

remember 35's = regear 33's = no regear unless you personally like it with lower gears. you absolutely have to regear for 35's though

Maybe I will just stick with 33's. Will I have to cut fenders then?

most all the people i've seen with 33's are on anywhere from 4"-6". personally i plan to run my 33's i have on my 5.5 superlift until they are bald, then cut for 35s... if you don't wanna cut 33s are plenty for the look or for performance...

some people have put 35s on with only 5-6" lift and some with 4" and 35s but that involves some cutting. its all in what your willing to do to fit the tires...

with all that being said, i don't actually have my lift on yet but it will be on this weekend... i won't be wheelin it til april... currently i have 31's on it stock with 3 washers under the front coils and no inners... it works fine for me but i want more height.

remember 35's = regear 33's = no regear unless you personally like it with lower gears. you absolutely have to regear for 35's though

Ummmm..I beg to differ. Unless your truck came stock with 4.10's, you really should re-gear if you're on 33's if you want to have any type of performance and you want to keep your tranny intact. I ran 33's on my '94 with 4.56 gears and it was just about right. Highway rpms were about equal to the truck on stock tires with the stock 3.27 gears.

I am new to this, but how do you even change the gears?

Whats involved in regearing? or any links?

What would be better? 4:10 or 4:56? This will be a daily driving vehicle just around town and maybe to the park which is 44 minutes away on highway. Also a 1 Hour 45 Minute drive home everyone and awhile.

What would be better? 4:10 or 4:56? This will be a daily driving vehicle just around town and maybe to the park which is 44 minutes away on highway. Also a 1 Hour 45 Minute drive home everyone and awhile.

My truck was quite happy with 4.56 gears on 33's for all driving. I could run the highway at 75 mph with no problem, and I could go offroading. If you're going to put new gears in, go with the 4.56's. You won't be disappointed.

I am new to this, but how do you even change the gears?
Whats involved in regearing? or any links?

Check out How to change differential gears. It's not for the novice and it takes some specialized tools.

I was planning on taking everything to a shop and get it done at 1 time. I would love to do it myself, but I just won't have the tools with me. I could do it with my dad's help because we just installed the new gears not to long ago on the 84' CJ7 Jeep we are rebuilding in the basement.

I think it would be kinda interesting to 1 day come home for a visit from college and see a big blue explorer on 33" tires with a 6" Lift. :D

I understand that taking it to a shop will get very expensive, But I will save money if I get it all done at once. They have to remove the axles anyway to install the lift don't they?

Quick question, where can I get the Skyjack 6" and re gearing kits? Do I need two kits for front and back?

Gears are available a lot of places. Dead Link Removed and Dead Link Removed are two good places. Yes, you need two kits.

You might want to search this site on the Skyjacker Lift. If I remember correctly, there have been some issues with it. I put a Superlift on mine to run 33's.

This was my 94 on 33's with the Superlift:

94X.jpg

Gears are available a lot of places. Dead Link Removed and Dead Link Removed are two good places. Yes, you need two kits.

You might want to search this site on the Skyjacker Lift. If I remember correctly, there have been some issues with it. I put a Superlift on mine to run 33's.

This was my 94 on 33's with the Superlift:

94X.jpg

..i wish i could have bought that truck lol

lol, Ill either take it to a shop or wait a loong while I guess :D

I first had 34 LTB's. Needed gears BAD. With the stock 3.27's I was burning up the clutch on the slights hills. I went 5.13 and LOVE them.

34's
IM000475.jpg

35 truxus. Need to do some front and rear fender trimming to get them to fit with just the 5.5 lift.
rrorc002.jpg

That one is expensive because it comes with a new limited slip differential. 8.8 gears and install kits are CHEAP because everything in the world uses that axle (mustangs, rangers, explorers, f-150s...)

Check http://www.accuautoparts.com/index.jsp , and just do a google search for 8.8 ring and pinion. There are tons of sites. I ordered from 3 different companies to get the best prices. There's also a member here that can get good prices on gears, he just couldn't get the 5.13's I was looking for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks fine for the rear.

Your front axle is not an 8.8. It's a Dana 35 so you will need a different set for the front.

4.56's will be fine for 33" tires, but if you're planning on going up to 35's in the near future, I would agree with FireZapper and go with 5.13's

Back