• Register Today It's free!

Light green fluid under the truck

NickSantagataa

Reaction score
City, State
Mount dora , Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 explorer xlt 4x4
My 2008 4.0 v6 explorer hasn't moved since last night but, I came home 20 minutes ago to see a small puddle on the floor. It seems to be a light green fluid , possibly radiator fluid?. Around the bolts on the oil pan one seal is dry and one is wet, so I don't know why the fluid is light green

image_zpskqaobcwi.jpg

so this is where all the dripping starts from.... Radiator replaced 10k miles ago so hoping that it's not the same issue...
image_zps0bzxieng.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the thermostat housing?

The OEM unit is 2 or 3 pieces glued together and they almost ALWAYS fail. Mine was leaking pretty good around 85k miles. Replaced it with a DORMAN unit from Rockauto for dirt cheap, and have been problem free. Very common issue on the 4th gen

This is what mine looked like: Dried white residue all over it, and the back was leaking onto the engine block pooling up, and burning off as I drove, and dripping on the ground
F6865075-D66A-4BD9-BE75-10B10095CC37_zpsbp9uzqbb.jpg

You can see the pool of coolant behind that wired connector:
3C96D3BE-3E7E-450D-8537-B1AF51C9CC37_zpsypkv220m.jpg

Have you checked the thermostat housing?

The OEM unit is 2 or 3 pieces glued together and they almost ALWAYS fail. Mine was leaking pretty good around 85k miles. Replaced it with a DORMAN unit from Rockauto for dirt cheap, and have been problem free. Very common issue on the 4th gen

This is what mine looked like: Dried white residue all over it, and the back was leaking onto the engine block pooling up, and burning off as I drove, and dripping on the ground
F6865075-D66A-4BD9-BE75-10B10095CC37_zpsbp9uzqbb.jpg

You can see the pool of coolant behind that wired connector:
3C96D3BE-3E7E-450D-8537-B1AF51C9CC37_zpsypkv220m.jpg

is the first picture you took to the right of the alternator ?

I honestly cant remember at the top of my head, but just follow the large radiator hose, it leads right to it. I believe it is to the right of the alt, but I could be wrong.

Here you go, better picture I found in my photobucket

6D0FB108-FE9F-4DFD-972B-EF134AD23B49_zpsegopqg7j.jpg

Heres the part itself:
8528A7F1-17E0-44A9-89A1-9D1F75EEF32F_zpsrnax3so9.png

If I remember correctly, I ordered mine on RockAuto for quite cheaper than Autozone had it. Just monitor your coolant level if you don't replace it right away. (If this is your problem)

thanks bud sadly my problem of course cannot be simple... the water pump is beginning to leak... only when it cools down so going to wait for it to get worse and then replace it.

I was going to say check the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump and see if its wet but sounds like that is the problem

thanks bud sadly my problem of course cannot be simple... the water pump is beginning to leak... only when it cools down so going to wait for it to get worse and then replace it.

Ah sorry to hear that man! I guess the bright side is that at least you know it's going bad versus a catastrophic failure on the highway far from home or something.

On the Edge that I had, it started overheating in the Winter and I deemed it to be the water pump. Found out that the water pump is internal and driven by the timing chains...talk about job and a half. (Ended up not being the water pump thank god)

Back