• Register Today It's free!

Light scrapping/rubbing noise

doug625

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS, 2007 XLT
Light scrapping/rubbing noise on my 02 xls more noticeable when turning left but still there when driving straight. Noise is definitely from the right rear, it's not a wheel bearing issue, that was just replaced. Here's the interesting part, it's intermittent, i can go 50 miles and not hear it at all, even in left turns, or I can go 2 miles to work and hear it. When it is happenning it's louder on left turns, brakes are fine and pressing the brakes does not affect the sound at all. One other note, when it is making the noise it's slightly louder under mild acceleration than just coasting. Axle shaft? Axle bearing? I'm at 192,000 miles and I'm lost on this one.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the backing plate. Sometimes referred to as the dust shield can get distorted and rub on the moving parts. I replaced mine last year as they were rusted out. Had a stone get lodged some time ago and cause noise but that probably is not your issue been intermittent.

Checked the backing plate, no signs of anything touching it, no markings anywhere of anything rubbing on anything. My only guess is the outer joint on the axle shaft, the boot was intact and full of grease but it still could be worn out. Taking it in tomorrow, maybe up on a hoist will show something.

Parking brake may have the lining de-bonded from the shoe. Mine made weird intermittent noises when that happened. Remove the rear rotors to check.

Turned out to be the wheel bearing again, the same one they just replaced 4 months ago so they didn't charge me anything. I just spent a lot of time checking everything else because I figured no way it could be the wheel bearing again, I'm thinking it must have been faulty when installed but it's all good now, wasted a lot of time on it but at least they fixed it for free.

Back