light switch bad? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

light switch bad?

bigcrunch

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 v8
I turn on the headlight switch to park lights, dash lights come on and door chime dings with door open as it should. Turn it to headlights on dash lights and door chime go off. Bad switch? Painfull to replace?
on a 1997 V8

The taillights go off also when I turn it to headlights on.

I turn on the headlight switch to park lights, dash lights come on and door chime dings with door open as it should. Turn it to headlights on dash lights and door chime go off. Bad switch? Painfull to replace?
on a 1997 V8

The taillights go off also when I turn it to headlights on.

Most likely switch is bad. Only a moderate PITA to replace. You have to remove plastic panel under dash, then drop metal panel low enough to clear access to the bottom screws that hold the insturment panel (IP) trim in place. Pull radio bezel off and move to side to provide access to screws on that side; then remove three screws from under top of IP trim. Helps to move steering column and shift lever up and down at various times for access. Pull IP trim forward and rotate to the left to clear column. Remove headlight switch knob; unplug connectors from headlight and dimmer switches; two screws hold headlight switch to back of IP trim. Plug the new switch in and test BEFORE you put everything back together. Good luck!

Back