• Register Today It's free!

light towing

something9000

Reaction score
City, State
naples fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 navajo
i need to get a ball and brake trailer harness so i can pull a small trailer to move to a new house. My question is what ball size will fit and where can i find it also what harness is good and where can one of those be found?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're putting the ball on the bumper hitch, you can fit either a 1 7/8" ball or a 2" ball. Most small trailers use 1 7/8", larger ones use 2". You'll need a ball with a 3/4" diameter shank (not the larger 1" for a removable hitch), and preferably the shorter shank, around 2" long, or enough to go through the bumper and attach the nut/locknut. A company called CTP pretty much makes all the trailer balls in China now, so it doesn't matter where you buy, just get one cheap.

You can get the plug-in harness online, the Hopkins harness is #40305 and can be found for $10-20, and there are a few other brands that are similar. Rockauto.com has 'em cheap too, or you might get one on ebay instead.

would you know how much i could safely tow using the ball on the bumper (with minimal tongue weight) i got a 3500 lbs rated ball (not planning on the heavy) but im just wondering whats a good limit i dont want to fry my rebuilt trans

In the end I wouldn't really be worried about the transmission as I would be the bumper falling off lol. I wouldn't really go to crazy loading up the trailer when you do decided to us it but I would go with whatev eryone else is saying about using any ball and anyone of the trailer hook ups

Someone before me had put this big old class III hitch on mine... I guess they had a big boat or something. Anyway, it took almost a day but I got the back bumper and that hitch off, mostly by grinding off the bolts. Cleaned and painted the bumper, new bolts, and it looks 100% better. I added a ball to the bumper for small runs, but there's just no way my 17 year old Explorer needs to be hauling around that big old rusty hitch anymore... we are both too close to retirement!

Someone before me had put this big old class III hitch on mine... I guess they had a big boat or something. Anyway, it took almost a day but I got the back bumper and that hitch off, mostly by grinding off the bolts. Cleaned and painted the bumper, new bolts, and it looks 100% better. I added a ball to the bumper for small runs, but there's just no way my 17 year old Explorer needs to be hauling around that big old rusty hitch anymore... we are both too close to retirement!

Heck I have front and rear hitch on mine just so I have a place to attach a strap,I ain't towing nothing with it.Bad enough it has to drag my fat ass around.:D

The bumper can pull quite a bit. If I remember correctly, all the bumpers were rated to 3000 lbs (been a long time since I looked). That said, we are talking about a 20 year old vehicle. If it has any rust or ever been hit in the rear, I'd be worried about the bumper mounts.

It also depends on how far your going at at what speeds. You still want the 10% tongue weight to keep the trailer stable. I've pulled 3000 lbs on the bumper a few times, but I didn't take it on the freeway. I just towed it across town. I've also carried 2000 lbs many times on the bumper, on the freeway (water tank) and never had issues. Keep in mind though, We are in Arizona where unpainted metal doesn't necessarily mean rust.

~Mark

Back