• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Lightning capture

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Shot this in the backyard tonight. The lightning wasn't cooperating... Tons right before I set up the camera, and only one good flash in the 30 minutes I was out there with the camera set up. Figures right??

Attachments

• ligtning2.jpg
    ligtning2.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 376

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
Very cool:thumbsup: I hear we may get some this weekend, which is pretty cool, because we never get lightning anymore, or thunderstorms period:(

I saw some awesome ones coming out of El Paso a few weeks ago:thumbsup:

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
Still a really cool shot, Rick.

Steve, Johnny and I drove through a monsoon on the way back from Texas in '06. I was able to catch a couple flashes with my p&s.

AZStorm1.jpg

AZStorm4.jpg

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
We were seeing a lot of vertical shots like that on our way home from dinner tonight. The storm really petered out by the time we got back to the house:( I was hoping to get a bunch of shots.

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
Do you hold the shutter open with your finger on the camera for these shots or is there another method, like a remote or...?

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
The camera will do up to 30sec exposures with just a press of the shutter button. After that you have to go to "Bulb" and use a cable release or infrared release.

That was shot at 30sec @ f8.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
Just ordered a new camera yesterday. Can't wait until it shows up!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/

That is an awesome camera for sure. It's the same exact camera that a professional photographer used to take a photo shoot of Sampson for an up coming publication.
I think if you left click the pic with the magnifying icon you can see the details.
This is just one of many.
I was so impressed that I went out and looked at the next model down...Nikon 5000 which still has good lenses but not so many controls as the 7000.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/honda2nr4life/CD/110818_untitled_017.jpg

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
That makes me want it in my hands even more. Nice shot with great color balance.

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
That's a good shot. Digital cameras have certainly come a long way since the beginning. I realized I've now taken about 13,000 photos with my Nikon D40, which is crazy if you sit down and think about it... in the film days, even if I was using 36-roll film, that would be over 350 rolls of film, not to mention all the printing costs that could have incurred. And the coolest part of all, all my photos are not only on my computer, but backed up to an external ahrd drive and also backed up to the cloud (internet) so I will never loose them all no matter what.
There is still a lot I have to learn about photography, I'd love to get more into it... maybe that'll be my next hobby when I start to get bored around here :).

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
My first digital camera from 1996...

_1STKDAK.gif

Back in 1996, Kodak Digital Science DC50 was one of the first batches of digital cameras on the consumer market. Back then, digital cameras were called digital imaging devices. They were reviewed in personal computer magazines (i.e. PC Magazine) rather than photography periodicals. The DC50 has a shape that looks like a projector rather than a camera. It is elongated like a set of binoculars. In fact, during operation, it is held like a set of binoculars. The camera has a built-in hand-strap that is handy.

The DC50 is a rangefinder camera with a separate optical viewfinder. Its features include auto-focus, zoom lens, and built-in flash. It uses the very original PCMCIA memory cards, a step up from the ancient floppy disks. A serial cable is included to download pictures to your computer. Its resolution was only 756x504, a sub-standard resolution compared to today's digital cameras. But back then, it was considered as a higher-end model.

They've come a loooong way...