Lightning eyes LED headlight kit. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lightning eyes LED headlight kit.

I just got the Lightning Eyes LED Headlight Strip... Does anybody knows how to remove the headlights? Tried to find a diagram on the net, but no luck... Also, I was planning to connect them to the parking lights, but I do not know if I cut the stock cable to "piggy back" would void the warranty. Any other ideas or suggestions on how to wire it?
:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Holy crap I hope you didnt actually pay 50$ for those...you can get the same thing at AutoZone for like 22$ unless these are actually as bright as the Audi ones...

The autozone ones are cheap, even by cheap aftermarket standards.

OP, you are aware that you need to open your headlamp unit to put those in it, and that will also void whatever warranty you have on your headlamps.

To wire them in, if you do not want to modify the wiring, you can run the positive wire all the way into the passenger compartment, locate the fuse for your lights, purchase a fuse tap, replace the fuse with the fuse tap, and attach the positive wire from those lights to the wire coming off the fuse tap. You can attach the negative wire to any good ground in the engine bay.

I disagree with that, watch the video they have for those lightning eyes, they look the same as the 3$ strips from China on eBay. He doesn't have to open his headlights either this goes around the headlights, usually under them.

Thank you guys.... I finally installed them above the headlight... I did not want to open them... Is not what I wanted but, I started getting frustrated and avoid having to remove the headlight. I ended up "piggy backing" with the stock wires. The service manager at the dealership told me that modifying wires will not avoid the warranty... When I get more time I might change them to under the head light. After you figure out the positives and ground it is a piece of cake. I will post the photos soon so I get your opinion... Now I need to get real HID lights so it doesn't look weird...
No I did not get the ones form the website... Amazon have it cheaper, same price as AutoZone... Found out about Auto Zone after I had ordered thru Amazon...

Pics... Need your opinion

Help--- How do I post pics?

Easy man, either get an elite membership on here and upload them right to the site,

IMG_0325.jpg

We need daylight pics if you can??

Great shots and I like the look, but at nighttime it is bound to look good.

Do you have any daytime shots? As we are looking at these for DRL's, I'd like to see how bright they are during the day.

Thanks.

I like how it looks above better

I did this about a year ago to my mountaineer
h_40185_1520713451532_1045424818_1516054_2199027_n.jpg

I don't understand why they now installed the LED DLR's on the old Edge, yet on the new X, nada. LED's are on most new cars, but NOT ours

Here's my install. More of a typical drl instead of led accents.

explorer_drl_zpsc3e561cb.jpg

Nicely done. I think we'd all love to know who's lights and how did you mount them without having vibration while you drive?

Certainly.

First off, this wasn't what I would call a quick installation. I had to fab up brackets to hold the drls behind the bumper valance. The brackets that came with the drls were a joke. The drl's are attached with 3 screws (2 lower and 1 upper) and are high enough up on the bumper that they feel pretty solid. I used drls (from ebay) that had a rake to them that matched the curve of the bumper pretty well. See the link at the end of this post. I used a $15 drl wiring harness (ebay also) for proper functionality of the drls and clean wiring.

Here's a close up of the drls just peeking through the valance. Yes I fretted over cutting the holes, but this is a $100 part, so its not a big expense to replace if I want to go in another direction in the future.

img_4_zps4194815b.jpg

Here's the back side of the valance showing the bracket attached to the bumper.

IMG_1_zps5be523b4.jpg

Here are couple of pics of the bracket. You could probably say its over built. I used extruded aluminum angle bar. Easy to work with and weather proof.

img_3_zps64165df7.jpg

img_2_zpsaf41794a.jpg

Added trim around the drls to finish the look
IMG_0571_zpse9cfc32d.jpg

drls are here:
(dead link)

Breshi, I know it has been some time, what did you use for the trim on the lower side of the lights? I had the same idea as you, just starting to put parts together. Looks sharp.. Pete

Breshi, I know it has been some time, what did you use for the trim on the lower side of the lights? I had the same idea as you, just starting to put parts together. Looks sharp.. Pete

Thanks Pete.

I'm a little embarrassed to say. The trim comes from a $10 rubber car mat I found at Walmart. It matched the color and texture of the bumper valance pretty darn well. I used the corners of the mat. Cut them out with a box knife and glued them on with Ultra Black gasket sealer/adhesive. Rather MacGyverish, but it doesn't look to bad.

Here's the mat:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mossy-Oak-Camo-Rear-Utility-Floor-Mat/21615403

PM me if you have any questions during your install.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, They look sharp, that is why I asked. Looks like a pro-install job. Will post my pics after my install.

Back