Lights burnt out in Stock Mach Head Unit... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lights burnt out in Stock Mach Head Unit...

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
Are there actual lightbulbs in the stock Mach Head unit? Some of my lights (Not the LCD Dispay) alternate being on and off....Like one night all 6 Numbers on the bottom 6 buttons will be on, and than the next night, only 2 will be on, etc. I did a search and found the write-up about soldering the unit to fix it, but thats just for an LCD fix, correct? Or will the soldering fix my button lights also?

And one more thing......If I bought a head unit out of a say 2001 Explorer Eddie Bauer, will my CD Changer and Steering wheel controls still work fine?

Thanks for the help
Joe

King$nake said:
Are there actual lightbulbs in the stock Mach Head unit? Some of my lights (Not the LCD Dispay) alternate being on and off....Like one night all 6 Numbers on the bottom 6 buttons will be on, and than the next night, only 2 will be on, etc. I did a search and found the write-up about soldering the unit to fix it, but thats just for an LCD fix, correct? Or will the soldering fix my button lights also?

And one more thing......If I bought a head unit out of a say 2001 Explorer Eddie Bauer, will my CD Changer and Steering wheel controls still work fine?

Thanks for the help
Joe

I asked about this once previously in regards to the mach in my 98. I did the solder thing with no luck. Got a new power inverter board and that alone didn't work. Ended up soldering something else and installing the new inverter board and now my display works great. Unfortunately most of the time none of the buttons light up. Sometimes however they do leading me to believe this is not a bulb issue.

Back