Solved - Lights out Bad Fuse - Still broken | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Lights out Bad Fuse - Still broken

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

DecOFlaherty

Reaction score
City, State
Saugus, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
On my 2002 Explorer, the dashlights suddenly went out, I later realized that this also included the lights on the heat controls and my tail lights (not break lights)

First, Realizing the dashlights were out, I consulted my manual and located the 5A fuse under the steering wheel. I pulled it out and it looked good.

"#21 5A Instrument cluster, Compass,Flasher coil"

Next, I consulted the bigger manual, Google. I found a story that was exactly the same and it was fixed by replacing a blown under-hood fuse that the manual simple calls, "Headlamp Switch"

"#16 15A* Headlamp switch"

I checked that fuse and was pleased to see it was blown.

Eureka!

.... Except, when I replaced it, the problem still existed.

I replaced the fuse again, just for fun, with one I had tested and I ended up swapping it a 3rd time with another 15A fuse that was already in the car working.

Nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Fun Facts:
* The dimmer still turns the interior lights on and off.
* I did have the instrument panel off a few weeks prior to install a radio but everything worked after.
* The Compass only shows "S" & "SW" but I'm not sure it ever worked.
* The indicator lights are fine.

Thanks
-Dan

Well, go back to what you did last. You may have pinched a wire that took time to wear through.

It sure if you're saying each subsequent fuse is blowing or not?

On my 2002 Explorer, the dashlights suddenly went out, I later realized that this also included the lights on the heat controls and my tail lights (not break lights)
Fun Facts:

* The Compass only shows "S" & "SW" but I'm not sure it ever worked.

Thanks
-Dan

Check the owners manual -- there are 'hoops' to jump through to recalibrate it -- including driving in circles. Maybe it will solve that problem.

Thanks Everyone I tried a few things and ended up bring it in. It turned out to be some bad switch "Relay I assume" behind the cluster.

Back