Likely culprit-clunk turning hard left | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Likely culprit-clunk turning hard left

joney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT4x4 SOHC
Had suspension work last week at a trusted shop-now I have a clunk + rubbing/dragging sound when I turn hard left (onto the road from parking) No problem turning right. Both upper and lower control arms with their ball joints, also lower ball joints and had the swaybar end link kit installed. Didn't have this issue beforehand. What during the install could have gone wrong? And I have to wait till Wednesday to have the shop investigate it, would I be harming my Ex driving it till then?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had suspension work last week at a trusted shop-now I have a clunk + rubbing/dragging sound when I turn hard left (onto the road from parking) No problem turning right. Both upper and lower control arms with their ball joints, also lower ball joints and had the swaybar end link kit installed. Didn't have this issue beforehand. What during the install could have gone wrong? And I have to wait till Wednesday to have the shop investigate it, would I be harming my Ex driving it till then?

AHA! missed that one somehow although I looked. Thought it was less likely to be sheer coincidence of another part suddenly going out, THANKS

AHA! missed that one somehow although I looked. Thought it was less likely to be sheer coincidence of another part suddenly going out, THANKS
no problem! had a similiar issue, so i remembered that thread ;)

no problem! had a similiar issue, so i remembered that thread ;)
Although I think it's probably not related to the issue at hand, shop mechanic did mention checking the torque on the lug nuts as I have the nice fancy stock aluminum wheels. I've never done that, am I going to have to buy a torque wrench or what? Will I need anti-seize or Loctite? Haven't checked them after my brake job a year ago. Asking here for real world experience as opposed to manual instructions.

Although I think it's probably not related to the issue at hand, shop mechanic did mention checking the torque on the lug nuts as I have the nice fancy stock aluminum wheels. I've never done that, am I going to have to buy a torque wrench or what? Will I need anti-seize or Loctite? Haven't checked them after my brake job a year ago. Asking here for real world experience as opposed to manual instructions.
i use a torque wrench set too 100(?) ft/lbs, no thread lock or antiseize needed! torque em down in a star pattern, go around and then recheck all of em after... or at least thats what i do on my teardrop alluminums! also heck if youre rechecking torque and its been a year, depending on mileage i might just rotate em for the sake of it

Just try and tighten them. They most likely haven’t loosened. The shop will also recheck them for free for liability reasons if you stop back in.

I always use anti seize on the lugs. Probably not needed unless you live in a salty area and the wheels will stay on awhile. I coat the back of the wheel face as well, because these often freeze on the hub flanges.

Just try and tighten them. They most likely haven’t loosened. The shop will also recheck them for free for liability reasons if you stop back in.

I always use anti seize on the lugs. Probably not needed unless you live in a salty area and the wheels will stay on awhile. I coat the back of the wheel face as well, because these often freeze on the hub flanges.
ive never used anti seize! granted i live in the sunshine state and i rotate tires every month or two, but ill give em a try next time!

ive never used anti seize! granted i live in the sunshine state and i rotate tires every month or two, but ill give em a try next time!
No need if they come off that often. On at least 5 occasions I had to loosen my legs a few turns and drive around the block until the wheels “pop”. Live will increase the torque at a given setting. I typically do about 80 pounds.

No need if they come off that often. On at least 5 occasions I had to loosen my legs a few turns and drive around the block until the wheels “pop”. Live will increase the torque at a given setting. I typically do about 80 pounds.
out of curiosity, where is the torque spec? i usually do 100, but ive heard other numbers too!

Anywhere from 80-100 is fine.

Plenty of salt here. Haven't rotated them yet, about 1200 miles since purchase. With the rough roads and potholes, I couldn't tell the difference if I did have a wobbling wheel.

My nephew checked all the lugs with the truck sitting on its wheels. They're tight at least. Bringing it back to the shop out of town tomorrow for the clunk/grinding when turning hard left from parking or while doing a Y-turn. It rides funny down the road like a flat tire but there isn't one. Might have the shop look for any weirdness about the tires themselves. They are 4 yrs old and lots of tread left.. Will be asking them to check the torque on the control arms they installed 2 weeks ago also!

My nephew checked all the lugs with the truck sitting on its wheels. They're tight at least. Bringing it back to the shop out of town tomorrow for the clunk/grinding when turning hard left from parking or while doing a Y-turn. It rides funny down the road like a flat tire but there isn't one. Might have the shop look for any weirdness about the tires themselves. They are 4 yrs old and lots of tread left..
i think riding funny could be alignment.. let us know findings!

i think riding funny could be alignment.. let us know findings!
Well, the shop checked over my X, they said all the nuts on their work were torqued up (they didn't use Loctite) They didn't say if they already were tight or if they re-tightened them and I didn't ask, LOL. They did find the inner liner of the front fender was displaced and rubbing the wheel so secured it. Would like to find some of those inner liners as a couple of the others are torn/missing pieces. Can't rule out road conditions as making the ride odd, but it did ride better coming back.

Back