Lil question about rear wiper blades | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lil question about rear wiper blades

Prince_Polaris

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a bit of a question about the blades themselves, not the arm, my wiper works fine however I've been thinking of getting one of those cool flexible modern ones since my standard wiper doesn't like the curve of the glass (I removed it and held it against the glass to make sure, the way the wiper is made means that it refuses to wipe the center and the very top of its swing) But the thing is, if I get one of those wipers, since it curves downwards, would it get stuck between the glass and the door? I nabbed a picture, I'm wanting a wiper like this: http://i.imgur.com/o9NbdKY.jpg

Oh and it's a 1998 explorer sport if that matters.

(By the way, I'm tryna set my profile image but I'm getting "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I tried a wiper similar to that, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...on-wiper-blades-rebadged-anco-contour.400885/ . At first, great. Eventually, the swipe at the top most area turned terrible. Maybe your results will be better than mine.

I went back to the OEM rear wiper blade, with a Trico insert, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-wiper-blade-refill-insert-trico-14-2.428411/ . Works great. Full swipe.

Aahhhh that looks cool, so if I hear you right you took the stock blade and stuck a new rubber wipe bit on it? Ahahah my wiper is most certainly not stock, I stole it from our 05 dodge caravan which won't be needing it anytime since it no longer has a back window... and even then, I found it in our basement before even that. And the link to the wiper you mentioned doesn't go anywhere, the ebay page is dead or missing or something :(

Yes, stock OEM blade, with new aftermarket, Trico, refill in it.

The eBay link goes to the seller's page, but the wipers are not listed, so pry sold out, maybe gone for good.

Damn, but what I was asking is whether you think I could use one of these things ( http://i.imgur.com/o9NbdKY.jpg ) on the back window without it getting stuck between the back window and the door, you think it's possible?

I can't remember if I had issues or not. Definitely didn't get stuck in there though, maybe parked in there when not in use if anything.

Keep in mind that if the overall wiper bracket and wiper body are too tall, the wiper arm might not rest in thee rear door wiper rest bracket. Had that problem using a winter style blade.

Yeah, heh, my wiper is a bit big since I stole it from the van, and the wiper gets about a centimeter from actually being in the bracket

The only way I was able to get good coverage out of my rear wiper was to cut the wiper arm stops down about 1/16-1/8". with my Dremel tool. Then I used a 16" Bosch Evolution blade. It works really well and hasn't gotten stuck yet. The stock rear wiper design sucks. It's just a bad design. Most vehicles with rear wipers (including Ford SUV's) now use a wiper motor mounted on the rear glass. There's a reason for that.

The only way I was able to get good coverage out of my rear wiper was to cut the wiper arm stops down about 1/16-1/8". with my Dremel tool. Then I used a 16" Bosch Evolution blade. It works really well and hasn't gotten stuck yet. The stock rear wiper design sucks. It's just a bad design. Most vehicles with rear wipers (including Ford SUV's) now use a wiper motor mounted on the rear glass. There's a reason for that.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-4816-Evolution-All-Season-Bracketless/dp/B000BYB2J8

So one of these? Haha, and yeah, I've noticed that most cars past like, ~2005 have it on the wiper like our two vans, I might like the look of the wiper being below the window but it sure makes it a lot more complicated. To fix it, I actually came on here before I made an account and saw that you could cut off the little nubs on the stoppers, and that's how I made mine get all of the window! So, you've never had that wiper get stuck between the back glass and the door even though it's one of them flexible ones?

By the way... is it normal for the left front wiper to go lower down than the driver's side one when you turn them off? Cause it keeps ending up with the end of the wiper down on top of the vents and it bothers me seeing it there. (Gosh I'm so nitpicky...)

By the way... is it normal for the left front wiper to go lower down than the driver's side one when you turn them off? Cause it keeps ending up with the end of the wiper down on top of the vents and it bothers me seeing it there. (Gosh I'm so nitpicky...)

It should end up level. Remove the arm from the splined post and move it up one tooth.

Yes that looks like the blade I put on the back. 16". It hasn't gotten stuck to-date, but I don't use it very often. It hasn't rained where I live in 3 months! It was the most expensive single blade I've ever purchased ($20 at Autozone) but I'm happy with it's performance. $10 is a much better price.

It should end up level. Remove the arm from the splined post and move it up one tooth.

Yes that looks like the blade I put on the back. 16". It hasn't gotten stuck to-date, but I don't use it very often. It hasn't rained where I live in 3 months! It was the most expensive single blade I've ever purchased ($20 at Autozone) but I'm happy with it's performance. $10 is a much better price.

Haha up here in western Maryland it sure has been raining a lot! When you're on the highway, your back wheels actually kick up enough water to almost make a cloud of fog trailing behind you, and that'll really fill the back window up with rain fast. I just looked up a video and it looks super easy to remove the wiper, so I'm gonna go try it now!

All fixed! Now it's a little bit above the other wiper, but I'd prefer that to it hitting the vent sometimes. Now I wonder if autozone will let me test wipers out...

And ho, I've bought a wiper for the rear! Heh, I got two duralast wipers in the front and one in the back, I like matching stuff. It works Perfectly, as if the wiper was never messed up in the first place. Haha, I've come so far from only being able to wipe one corner of the rear window.

One small note, thank goodness for my car's stopping power, I nearly got mashed between an 18 wheeler (who could see me, he was pulling a dang flatbed) and the highway median today! :mad:

After a life-long search for wiper blades that last more than a month before streaking and making noise, I finally found one brand that lasts at least 2 years. Bosch Evolution blades. Yes, they're expensive but worth every penny IMO. Other blade manufacturers who make similar blades may also be good, but I have no reason to try them.

Mine are Duralast flex if I remember right, they look pretty cool and we'll have to see how they handle our harsh winters up here in the Appalachians~

Back