Limited, Active Parking - Strange Behavior | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited, Active Parking - Strange Behavior

wudwork

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Took test drive and tried out parking. Between (2) parked cars and a curb it worked great. In the dealer lot, I pulled alongside a van and hit park assist button. It reported green for a spot behind the van. In this case, there was NOT a car behind the van; just a curb maybe 6inches high about 25feet back. The park assist started but freaked out when it did not detect a metal ?? object behind it. It told me to go forward and I think it decided to park me perpendicular to the van; yet still behind it. I moved forward, as computer instructed, yet there was a car right in my path. I inched forward, toward other car, trying to see where the front sensors would kick in and say STOP. It never happened. The salesman asked me to stop; possibly 2 feet short of bumping that car. I did something and the computer gave up and said "driver took over....". Very strange; it seems the computer was ignoring the front sensors despite me moving forward as it instructed me to do.

Either way, it worked MUCH more efficiently than I could park that beast. While I will use it 3.2 times in my life, others certainly will depend on it.

Back