• Register Today It's free!

Limited Slip A-Slippin'

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
How much should a limited slip axle slip? The other day I had my truck off road and there was a small mound, prob 8-12 in. high. I was in 2 wheel drive, and had the windows open. I aproached it at an angle and tried to slowly drive up it. The passanger side tire would spin but the drives side wouldn't spin most of the time. There was a chattering/not real loud clicking I assume to be comming from the diff.. It did it if I rolled on the trottle or stepped on it. I have since spun on a soft road and both tires spun even like they normally do.
When I have been wheeling before it always seemed the the Limited Slip always worked excellent and always spun even. With my old tires when I drove to tight a circle the back tires would squeal. Any ideas??

how many miles you have on it? mine was similar. the LS isnt tight anymore. Try apply the brake a lil when it slips to make it grab more. I suggest you disconnect your rear sway bar links also for more rear articulation. help keep tires on ground for more traction. in the future getting a selectable locker to replace the LS will make your truck go alot more places than before.

Back