• Register Today It's free!

Limited Slip (clutch) gone bad?

baff2004

Reaction score
City, State
Flagstaff, Az / Nogales, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I was wondering of anyone knew the life of a limited slip differential clutch. :) Normal driving and light off roading is what I usually do. But my X has 118,000 miles on it and one wheel is able to slip. The diff. rachets on tight slow turns. What gives?? :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I remember someone stating(maybe John V) that the LS under normal use, goes out after around 40k. It is different with every vehicle though.

With 118K it may as well be open. Parts for a rebuild aren't expensive (~$50) but if you offroad much I'd get a locker. Lunchbox lockers like the NoSlip or LockRight are fairly cheap and very effective without destroying on-road manners.

Dave

No slip fairly cheap... LOL

My no slip was around $400 bones. Chatter can be a sign of not using friction modifyer. I'd guess that if no work has ever been done to your rear end that the l/s is worn out. Mine was working ok at 60k miles when it was replaced with a no slip.

Originally posted by Premier
No slip fairly cheap... LOL

If you want cheap weld it. $400 is cheap for a very road-compatible automatic locker with the bonus of very simple installation. Compare to a detroit or selectable which for many means paying install labor on top of parts.

Granted, the lockright is cheaper but not as date friendly.

Back