• Register Today It's free!

Limited slip differentials

kowalsy

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer sport
Just a question on limited slip differentials. I am going to be purchasing an early 90 explorer pretty soon. Now I know some of these were equipped with limited slips. Was that option included in some sort of package, like say a toeing package? And the limited slips compared to the non, how would they compare offroad. And which would be the better to have when building a nice backcountry machine. I found a site that deciphers the numbers on the axle codes, so i will know which Ex's have it when I go to purchase one...

It came in the ex's with lower gears, mainly the 3.73's, and 4.10's. You can check by axle code on the door jam

And at that age, even if it has a limited slip differential, the clutches will likely be worn out, so it may drive like an open diff until the clutches are replaced.
As far as off road performance, it is better than an open differential, but not a true locker. With a limited slip, you can, under the right conditions, force one of the two wheels to spin while the other remains stationary (such as one wheel airborne or one wheel on ice and the other on dry). Only you can judge your needs and wants, but, if you feel fairly certain that you are going to want a locker over the limited slip, you may want to look for one with an open diff. There are more lockers available for the open diff 8.8, and I have seen some suggest that the weaker limited slip carrier isn't as desirable in a locked axle.

I have a 91 with limited slip differentials, 162,000-miles. The clutches and limited slip feture work fine.

Back