Limited Slip for 91 explorer Dana 35 IFS??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited Slip for 91 explorer Dana 35 IFS???

Bull Durham

Reaction score
City, State
Bullhead City, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2-91 4x4 XLT Explorers
Does anyone know if there is anything offered for our front Dana 35 IFS axle in the way of a limited slip diff and maybe some 31 spline axles to match the upgrade to a 31 spline 8.8" rear axle with disc brakes (1995-2002?). I am upgrading my rear axle with a locker and would also like the front to have a limited slip. Any help our suggestions will be greatly appreceiated!!!!!
Bull Durham

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is not hard at all to find lockers for the Dana 35.

Aussie

Detroit

ARB

Electric, Air, or Automatic.

I strongly discourage the use of a "quick lock" automatic style locker in the front.
Sudden engagement will be breaking stuff frequently.

ARB air or electric for a full locker.

Detroit Soft locker or True-Trac for limited slip or automatic type.

I believe Aussie also has a Torque Proportioning locker like the True-Trac. These are the most expensive options.

But in my opinion the True-trac is bullet proof, easy on the drive train and steering and only falls short in extreme rock crawling. It will eventually hook up but there is a bit of lag, needs to slip before sending power to the other side.

As far as axles go the Dana 35 stocker's will smash many hubs before they fail.

You can get chrome-molly upgrades, but you will still have Spicer 1210 u-joints. which are fine (not bullet proof)
but with a 160hp they will not fail often and cheap and easy to replace on the trail.

The Detroit Soft Locker is more like a limited slip except muuuuch harder to make slip.
It works like a "quick lock" but will give (slip) a little to help reduce breakage of drive train components.

The advantage of the True-trac over the Soft locker is that the soft locker will slip when one wheel has superior traction some times leaving you a three wheel drive. While the True-trac will always come to full lock once the other three are spinning.

You could always use a ls out of a jeep

You know, it is hard to find the quick skinny on the many different LS and lockers out there without going through a ton of resources to learn these basics. Thanks FR-425 for that quick and concise summary.
That was a very useful bit of info and a more thorough explanation of the industry wide choices would make a great sticky. (hint, hint!)
I'm looking forward to Aussies next summer! They seem like the best bang for the buck and all around performer.

Not knowing the intended use for the OP, it would be tough to make a suggestion as one choice is most certainly better than another if the intended use is different. Horses for courses, or so the saying goes.

You can get chrome-molly upgrades, but you will still have Spicer 1210 u-joints. which are fine (not bullet proof)

The D35 uses a 1310 driveshaft u-joint, and 5-297X (supplanted by 5-760X) axle U-joints.

You could always use a ls out of a jeep

That's the cheapest option for sure.

I like selectable (spooled/open) units myself. You can have it fully locked when you need it, and no putting up with it's quirks when you don't. They can be $$$, but I think are worth every penny.

Dana 35 IFS upgrades??

Many thanks to all that responed to my question..... I will be using this in the Desert around Bullhead City, AZ and I mostly like to go fast in washes, but wanted the lockers for situations when you get to the end of one and need to crawl out...:salute:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to All,
Bull Durham :usa:

The D35 uses a 1310 driveshaft u-joint, and 5-297X (supplanted by 5-760X) axle U-joints.

That's the cheapest option for sure.

I like selectable (spooled/open) units myself. You can have it fully locked when you need it, and no putting up with it's quirks when you don't. They can be $$$, but I think are worth every penny.

Yes, my bad 1210's are dana 28

On the subject of increasing strength of the front end, do not forget upgrading to a d44 knuckle. It means a stronger shaft and bigger bearings, and for bigger tires and a stronger front end over all. The Ranger station website has some good info on this, there may be other sits that are better.
Chrome-molly shafts and u-joints aren't the only avenue for better strength. There are more options than we realize!

Beef it up!!!!!

Malohnes,
Does the D-44 refer to a Dana 44 and if so, do I maintain the D-35 housing and just use the D-44 knuckle and bearings?? By doing this, does that allow me to upgrade to 31 spline axles?
Thanks,
Bull Durham :yelexp:

Yes, the D44 knuckles replace your D35's knuckles (everything before the knuckles is retained). The D44 axle stubs are a little stronger, mostly because they don't have a groove cut at the base of the splines to retain the c-clip & thrust washer. The axle u-joint still tends to be the weakest link in the chain however (and alloy D35 stubs are available as well, though oddly, none of the inner shafts are with the exception of RCV shafts ($$$$$) :scratch: ).

IMO, the biggest benefit of the D44 ends is the much bigger brakes.
There are some number of reports out there about the D35's bearings being problematic... Yet I think the vast majority of them can be attributed to the use of cheap or 'value' branded bearings and/or overtightening their preload.
I've had 35x12.50s on my D35 for over 9 years now and still have yet to have any issues with the bearings (they may even still be the OEM bearings which if so, endured an additional 3 years w/33x12.50s before the 35s).

Unless you're warping brake rotors, I see little reason to swap D44 ends on.
Note that D44 ends will also change your lug pattern, so you would need to match up your rear axle's lug pattern to it, and get new wheels.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2007/44knuckleswap.htm

And the Dana 44 knuck's have huge ball joints.

Dana 35 IFS upgrades??

First off, I just want to thank everyone for your help on this. Since I just bought 6 new rims and tires, I am going to stay with what I have for now and just put a selectable locker in and upgrade the u-joints if I can!!!!!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all,
Bull Durham

Merry Christmas to you too sir!

:thumbsup: :A man with a plan: :thumbsup:

Good Luck and have fun with your project!

You could find a dana 44 to upgrade, their a little stronger and I believe were a rare option in our trucks.

Back