Limited slip or Locker? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited slip or Locker?

02explorersport

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport
I have an 02 2wd 5spd explorer sport and need more traction for light to moderate off-roading during hunting season. Should I try to find a limited slip diff in a junkyard or order one of those lockers like the Aussie? If I do go with limited slip will it matter if I have an Auto or manual? Thanks Love my sport and dont want 4wd,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subsribing...

same question here. I also have a 2wd 02 explorer, although mine is 2wd. I can't say that I love having 2wd, because I would much rather have a 4wd, but that's what my dad bought, so that's what I got...

same situation, also. looking for more traction for light to moderate off-roading during hunting season and to find some shade while at baseball practice, lol.

If it's a straight up daily driver, I would avoid an auto-locker like the Aussie, Lock-rite, or others. A good LS will get you what you need.

I love my aussie but wouldn't want it in the truck I drive to work everyday.

Or look into a selectable like an ARB...

Since you already have an open carrier I'd go with the locker over the LS. Something selectable would definitely be cool. ARBs are nice.

You could do something like this http://www.americanmuscle.com/eaton-31spline-88-posi-lsd.html?utm_content=eaton-31spline-88-posi-lsd&utm_campaign=FROOG&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping, which is essentially a stock LSD on crack. If you are using the truck as a daily driver, I'd skip the lunchbox locker, such as the Aussie. They're great, but as mentioned above, I wouldn't want to drive it every day. You want some slip, especially in the rain, so you can maintain better control in an emergency situation.

i daily drive my Ex, with lift and 33's, and an Aussie locker in the rearend, with no issues,,

i say go locker, you will like it better out in the fields when hunting..

As to your question if it matters auto or manual, no. You will get more of a jerk-bang from the manual/locker though.

If you can afford it get a nicer locker like a Powertrax. Very nice street manners. Although it seems like lockers wear out faster on the street than limited slips.

Personally, in my latest rebuild, since I have a 4x4 that will be daily driven, I'm going with a L/S in the rear and a selectable locker in front. The L/S can be beefed up to grab tighter and act more like a locker.

I had the powertrax no slip locker on my last ranger. It had nice street manners and really made a difference when i needed it

Well it seems that everyone has mixed opinions! I hate driving in the rain and am terrified of losing control, and maintaining a dd is more important to me than offroad capability, so it sounds like I should go limited slip??

Well it seems that everyone has mixed opinions! I hate driving in the rain and am terrified of losing control, and maintaining a dd is more important to me than offroad capability, so it sounds like I should go limited slip??

some of the selectable lockers are limited-slip when not locked.
I believe the Eaton E-Locker is this way?
Whereas the ARB and Ox Lockers are open or locked.

Although I don't know much about the Eaton E-Locker; haven't looked in to it much.

A locker will most definitely help you out a LOT when on the trails, but yeah the street-manners aren't the best.

It really is partially personal opinion, but also depends on how often you go on the trails are how bad the trails are.

I would go on trails more if I had better traction, but I don't go that much, and they aren't difficult at all, I just don't like getting stuck. Thanks for the three references, I will most definitely either go with the Eaton, ARB, or Ox, depending on what I decide when the money permits. I can't speak for the OP, but you guys have helped me a lot1
Thanks,
Kendal

I'd look at a Detroit Tru-Trac. It is a limited slip but it is gear driven so you don't have to worry about the clutches going bad.

Back