• Register Today It's free!

Limited slip to non-limited slip

Mototech

Reaction score
City, State
Carol Stream,IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited
Hi all. Been on here for the past few hours reading about all the common problems these trucks have. I've already replaced the diff clutch pack, found both rear springs cracked (while replacing the clutch pack), rear wheel bearings, front wheel bearings, tie rod ends, radiator, and still have to replace a cracked valve cover. This is my girlfriend's truck and will be paid off next month and she wants to keep it. The clutch pack is starting to lock up again after about 16,000 miles. Is there a standard diff that can replace the limited slip so I don't have to worry about replacing the clutch pack ever again? I know people sometimes upgrade to limited slip so is it possible to downgrade?
Thanks for any and all help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cheapest way to downgrade is to go to the salvage yard and buy an open rear differential in the same gear ratio that the truck has now. Swap them out, and you could probably find someone on here to buy the LS one so you could recoup a lot of your money.

If you replace all of the friction material discs (right on the image) in the clutch pack with the non-friction material discs (left in the image), then the LS will be useless.
RAT-1808.jpg

EDIT - but on a side note, did you pour in a bottle of "friction modifier" last time you filled the differential? Because without that, the discs will chatter and cause excessive friction.

So the non-limited slip still uses the clutch pack? When I pulled it apart the first time the whole clutch pack was stuck together. I assume this is what is starting to happen again. Yes I did use the friction modifier. All parts were oem from Ford.

So the non-limited slip still uses the clutch pack? When I pulled it apart the first time the whole clutch pack was stuck together. I assume this is what is starting to happen again.
The non-LS unit does not use clutch packs but it also has a shallower cavity for the side spider gears. So you need a "spacer" (the discs without the friction material) to bring the spider gears towards the center (of the differential). Without the discs, the side spider gears will be recessed too far into the ends of the differential and the spider gears will mesh incorrectly (possibly skipping teeth). If you are a machinist and have access to a lathe, you can probably turn some aluminum spacers, just measure accordingly.

Another question: any chance anyone do a burnout with this vehicle? Or maybe too much playing in the snow ? ;)

No burnouts and I use my rwd BMW for snow drifting. Just so I understand, if I get more steel discs I can use them to "shim" the spider gears in? Do I need different spider gears?

if I get more steel discs I can use them to "shim" the spider gears in? Do I need different spider gears?
That's what I'm thinking -- you are removing the discs with the "ears" and replacing them with the ones that do not.

Back