• Register Today It's free!

limited slip vs aussie locker

93xplorersport

Reaction score
City, State
paris, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport 4x4
i have been thinking about making my open rearend a limited slip rear end but what do i need to do that. i have looked at the aussie locker and it seems cheap and easy to do but my question with it is since my truck is a dd now will the rear end click and buck turning like a posi rear end does? that is why im lookin at a limited slip rear end. but any facts/opinions between the two will be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have an Aussie, and you barely know it is there except for a bit of clicking on sharp corners,
and i daily drive mine too, with 35's,,

it is awesome off road,just takes a few days to get used to it is all,

it is not a big issue, it just works so much better than limited slip.

when you take off if the wheels spin it will kick sideways just a bit, no biggie,

but off road the extra traction is great, ,

ok i wished i had the power to spin when i take off more less the gear lol so the aussie locker would be the way to go?

as far as i am concerned yes it is, i really like mine,,

How is it on ice?

AAUUUSSIE! AAAAUUUSIE! AAAAUSIE!
Love mine.

I believe that installing a limited slip will require removing the carrier and resetting the gears.

The Aussie is good on ice, you just have to be easy on the skinny pedal,

I vote aussie!!

I don't mean to hijack, but I have a similar question:

I'm looking into getting a locker for my sport and I drive it on the road a lot. I was thinking about going with a mini spool since the tires i'm running are 235s and I MIGHT upgrade to 31s. that aside, Ive read that mini spools do nothing but tear things up and add undue stress when driving on the street. would it be more cost effective to skip the less expensive mini spool and save up for an aussie?

If you drive it on the road ALOT it might be best/cheapest to just add a extra clutch to the stock lsd

I have an open carrier 3:73

should I get a junkyard rearend with limited slip and replace the clutches?

I'm also 2WD which is the reason for the locker in the first place. last year it snowed four inches and I couldn't get my truck out of the apt. parking lot cuz I had no traction. :(

that and I wanna do some trail riding :)

If you dont plan on doing alot of off roading, thats what i would do.i would try and find a 4.10 lsd front and rear and swap it all.rears go for about $150 so pretty cheap and if you find 4.10 it would be well worth it.or buy a lsd from someone one here if you know how to set up gears.i have 2 in my garage that i might get ride of down the road.

I have an open carrier 3:73

should I get a junkyard rearend with limited slip and replace the clutches?

I'm also 2WD which is the reason for the locker in the first place. last year it snowed four inches and I couldn't get my truck out of the apt. parking lot cuz I had no traction. :(

that and I wanna do some trail riding :)

I would not do a mini spool if it is road-driven at all. Turning will get old :)

I would do a limited slip swap or an aussie. You might find after all the work and cost of a limited slip swap that you'd be happier with the aussie anyway. Plus the aussie is a lot less work to put in.

If you drive it on the road ALOT it might be best/cheapest to just add a extra clutch to the stock lsd

i did this to mine and for some reason it sucks in the snow now all i do is spin my tires it seems like i have less traction

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Snow and ice is not easy to drive on with a locker or extra clutch,yes you have more traction but it takes getting use to and a soft gas petal

Back