limited slip vs aussie locker | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

limited slip vs aussie locker

If you have an open carrier, the lunchbox locker is the way to go. Let off the gas, and it releases. LS swap will end up costing 2/3 the price of doing a locker, and more work doing it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Snow and ice is not easy to drive on with a locker or extra clutch,yes you have more traction but it takes getting use to and a soft gas petal

I was just trying to figure out how a locker does compared to limited slip or Posi. I've never had a vehicle with a locker in it, but I have been thinking about going that way.... would be nice when I am offroad. I liked the feel of the explorer I gave my ex, it had a LS 3.73, and I have had other vehicles with limited slip, posi or ATB diffs.

has anyone put a aussie locker in the front and the back of our trucks if so how is it on the road as well as off road? ive heard good things as far as it being put in the back of our trucks but what about the front?

...Whatever you do..:shifty_ey ..Don't ask Maniak..:D

Maybe Maniak will chime in. </snicker> :)
(I don't know the answer to that question btw)

I'm reading/hearing about Spartan Lockers recently. Good prices, and they are supposed to install very easy (!).

why do not ask maniak? honestly

I guess it is because when we are at truckhaven we play follow the leader and Tbars4 has a front locker and Its always fun to be leading and go through the really tight switch backs of the ditches. You could hear Tbars4 compaining, even without the CB :). Of course, I think he can hear us laughing.

The other possible issue with a front locker is if you can't control your urge to use the skinny pedal your gonna break hubs and u-joints. R.J. was doing that with his quite a bit (at least it seemed like quite a bit).

I'm personally going with a Trac-lok up front since I can't afford a selectable locker which would give you almost the best of both worlds. I don't think there is an eaton electric locker available for the d-35 though.

~Mark

EDIT: Fixed text above.. I thought the eaton was LS when unlocked, but it appears its open when unlocked. I could have sworn it was LS, but oh well

I guess it is because when we are at truckhaven we play follow the leader and Tbars4 has a front locker and Its always fun to be leading and go through the really tight switch backs of the ditches. You could hear Tbars4 compaining, even without the CB :). Of course, I think he can hear us laughing.

The other possible issue with a front locker is if you can't control your urge to use the skinny pedal your gonna break hubs and u-joints. R.J. was doing that with his quite a bit (at least it seemed like quite a bit).

I'm personally going with a Trac-lok up front since I can't afford a selectable locker which would give you almost the best of both worlds. I don't think there is an eaton electric locker available for the d-35 though.

~Mark

EDIT: Fixed text above.. I thought the eaton was LS when unlocked, but it appears its open when unlocked. I could have sworn it was LS, but oh well

EDIT2:. I must need more coffee.. While I was reading about it at eatons site I noticed the insturctions they have are for Dana 30 and 35..

So would it be best to just leave my front end the spider gears till I break them or go ahead and invest in something like a trackloc when i have it apart for 4.56 gears

Or can I get a "rebuild" kit for the spider gears

Or can I get a "rebuild" kit for the spider gears

It is a open front,no need for rebuild.i vote aussie with manual hubs,can't go wrong.if you get in a super tight turn just unlock one hub or let off the gas and coast through the turn.as with any locker you have to have gas control and know how to work it!.i love my aussies ,you just can't beat the price or tration it gives!!!

In the truckhaven ditches you most likely won't be able to get out to unlock the hubs.

But, it is true, if the truck will roll you can let off the gas to let things unlock and turn, but that doesn't work for very tight/narrow trails. I use that trick with just the rear locker when I'm in town. If I'm on the throttle I take 3+ lanes to make a u-turn. If I'm off the throttle its < 2 lanes.

With all this said though. I haven't installed my LS up front yet so I can't say if its actually any better than the aussie in the tight stuff. If the stars align, I will have it installed for this years wheeling season.

~Mark

a rear limited slip is useless offroad, not even worth dicking with. i ran a detroit on the street on on the hard trails and never had a problem.

up front a LS will get you by but for the real trails youll wish you had more. i ran a true trac in my d35 ranger 85% of the time it was great and never knew it was there the other 15% had me wishing i had a detroit up there.

~Mark

its the detrout electrac that is a gear drive LS when unlocked and a flip of the switch goes to a "spool".

just picked one up last week for my d60.

...I concur...85% of the time I love my aussie up front..The other 15% can be a pia or scary..

..Nothing like a tight turn on a steep rocky cliff edge and you can't get the locker to unlock and you don't want to loose track of your tires positions..:eek:

...Just for clarification...This is Maniak in one of the ditches at Truckhaven...This stuff will definitely test out lockers...;)

oct_23rd_087.jpg

I want to make sure i understand this. With a locker upfront and auto hubs its very likely to break somethin especially when turning, but with manuals as long as I can get out and get one hub unlocked things won't break as easy as long as I keep control with the gas?

I want to make sure i understand this. With a locker upfront and auto hubs its very likely to break somethin especially when turning, but with manuals as long as I can get out and get one hub unlocked things won't break as easy as long as I keep control with the gas?

auto hubs with anything suck!!you should run manuals no matter what.its all on how you drive and size of tires,gears and lockers just make it worse.its not turning that breaks stuff,it just pushes in turns.i have found that if im not hard on the gas like barley giving it gas,it unlocks(the locker) and turns just fine

With one hub unlocked, you will lose 4wd. By doing this, it allows the axles to free spin (locker not engaging because of no force on both ends) and the chances of breaking something is reduced.

With one hub unlocked, you will lose 4wd. By doing this, it allows the axles to free spin (locker not engaging because of no force on both ends) and the chances of breaking something is reduced.

This is not true.you will have 4x3 lockers are engaged by the drive shaft.one tire will still spin and one will spin freely

4x3 is all your have any other time unless a locker is used.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I guess I should rephrase that statement. Your correct, the lunchbox is activated when power is applied (drive shaft rotation speed/torque).

By unlocking a hub, you will lose 4wd because power is not going to both wheels and the torque is only applied to one side, eliminating drive line wind up, thus reducing chances of something breaking.

Back