limited slip vs aussie locker | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

limited slip vs aussie locker

From what I jhave seen of the lock rite is the pins breaking, not saying that a lock rite is an aussie but they're damn close. Maybe aussie is using better quality steel in their pins. believe me I'd buy anything other than a detroit as well due to the price, but there's no arguing their strength.

http://www.ranger-forums.com/showthread.php?t=114154

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=79920 post 8

With both lockers it says you need a harden pin in the instructions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The main quality issue is the use of the stock carrier, there's only so much they can handle until they crack. Magnaflux yours in a year or two and tell me what you see. Detroit replaces that problem along with ARB and other non lunchbox style lockers. hence the reason why a full spool, or PROPERLY welded center section is stronger than any locking differential.

From what I jhave seen of the lock rite is the pins breaking, not saying that a lock rite is an aussie but they're damn close. Maybe aussie is using better quality steel in their pins. believe me I'd buy anything other than a detroit as well due to the price, but there's no arguing their strength.
stock carriers still have weaknesses. Look at yours in a year or two and magnaflux it, tell me what you find
http://www.ranger-forums.com/showthread.php?t=114154

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=79920 post 8

You edited this.but yes i do agree on both those last facts.Detroit is very strong and yes a stock carrier has its limits but most of the time people are running too big of tires and harden axel and its just to much for an 8.8 in general

a stock carrier has its limits but most of the time people are running too big of tires and harden axel and its just to much for an 8.8 in general

;)

The main quality issue is the use of the stock carrier, there's only so much they can handle until they crack. Magnaflux yours in a year or two and tell me what you see. Detroit replaces that problem along with ARB and other non lunchbox style lockers. hence the reason why a full spool, or PROPERLY welded center section is stronger than any locking differential.
Open carries are dime a dozen.but i all ready agreed on all this with last post you just beat me too it

Never mind guess it is.i have NEVER heard of anyone breaking an aussie so don't think people can say its stronger. Main difference is a aussie cost $200 where a Detroit cost $700,i would do a selectable locker before i spent that much!!

The biggest differences are reputation/longevity and carrier strength. The aussie reuses the stock carrier and doesn't have the longevity track record "yet".

The Detroit replaces the entire carrier so that gets rid of that weak point.

That said, Most of the people on Explorerforum are not the kind that will break an aussie in an 8.8. If you were one of those people who did rock bashing with a big motor and big tires, then I'd expect the aussie to go before a detroit full locker. There aren't that many on Explorerforum running 40's with a heavy foot etc.

BTW.. The gear type detroit is actually the truetrac and is a LS that doesn't have clutches to wear out.

Just for full disclosure. :) We are running a detroit full locker in our 8.8 and have had it in there for coming up on 200k miles and it still works great.

~Mark

edit: looks like others beat me to the "weak carrier" possibility..

i want it to be streetable and still get good gas mileage as well as being a good play toy offroad

get a limited slip then lol. If youre worried about all of that stuff then I would say a locker isn't going to make you happy when it bangs going around a corner. Ity isn't that a locker isn't streetable it's just that more than likely you'd be annoyed with it if youre vehicle isn't primarily a off road toy. IMO.

i want it to be streetable and still get good gas mileage as well as being a good play toy offroad

Hahahah you said good mileage. But no your get worse with the wrong gears.i get about 13 easy driving in town and about 20 highway.only place 4.56 and 35+ tires may help is on a flat highway but you will lose it all in city

get a limited slip then lol. If youre worried about all of that stuff then I would say a locker isn't going to make you happy when it bangs going around a corner. Ity isn't that a locker isn't streetable it's just that more than likely you'd be annoyed with it if youre vehicle isn't primarily a off road toy. IMO.

Mine is a dd and unless im making a u turn witch i can't with my tires,i don't even know its back there now.or if i get on the gas really hard then it will light up bit im trying to do that;)

i have no problems with an aussie in the back. i can make turns and u-turns with no problem. just dont go crazy with the gas pedal and itll unlock and turn easy. u-turns with a 2" wide median and into the lane next to the median with a 1/2 overlap into the next lane are no problem if you dont go nuts.
sometimes ill purposely give a lot of gas turning right into traffic, just to lock it and chirp. but thats on purpose.

only thing i hate so far is coasting down the road and hitting the gas a little to much and it locks up and pushes me to the left or right. but that may be due to my wwayyyyyyy off caster in the front and back. locker went in the same time as the caster got screwed, so idk until i fix it. but something tells me its the locker

i have no problems with an aussie in the back. i can make turns and u-turns with no problem. just dont go crazy with the gas pedal and itll unlock and turn easy. u-turns with a 2" wide median and into the lane next to the median with a 1/2 overlap into the next lane are no problem if you dont go nuts.
sometimes ill purposely give a lot of gas turning right into traffic, just to lock it and chirp. but thats on purpose.

only thing i hate so far is coasting down the road and hitting the gas a little to much and it locks up and pushes me to the left or right. but that may be due to my wwayyyyyyy off caster in the front and back. locker went in the same time as the caster got screwed, so idk until i fix it. but something tells me its the locker

Or the soa lift in the rear with no sway bar and no lift in the front.i don't have this problem with mine;)

the only reason imworried about gas mileage is that its still a dd and most of my driving is in the city would 33 with 4.56 be ok or do i need a different combo? the locker in the back isnt goin to be a problem. right now i have 31 and a 3.27 and i get 15 in the city and my lift consists of shackles and aal in the back and washers up front i sit level (35" from the ground to the top of fender lip). and i plan on addin a 4" suspension lift to what i have plus a 3 in body lift. what tire and gear combo would be good to make up for the gap and gas mile?

Or the soa lift in the rear with no sway bar and no lift in the front.
but that may be due to my wwayyyyyyy off caster in the front and back.
:p

im pretty sure its the caster then. i mean it pulls me, not sways me left and right, so its not the no sway bar thing.
**** my diesel doesnt have any sway bars and it doesnt sway at all. :p

the only reason imworried about gas mileage is that its still a dd and most of my driving is in the city would 33 with 4.56 be ok or do i need a different combo? the locker in the back isnt goin to be a problem. right now i have 31 and a 3.27 and i get 15 in the city and my lift consists of shackles and aal in the back and washers up front i sit level (35" from the ground to the top of fender lip). and i plan on addin a 4" suspension lift to what i have plus a 3 in body lift. what tire and gear combo would be good to make up for the gap and gas mile?
if going to 35s, 4.88.
i dont think having a locker would affect mileage at all, unless youre always testing its locking function.... :)

I would say 4.88 and 35 with that lift and no trimming. I run 5.5 aal and 3"bl with 36x14.50 and think it looks good, not to much but enough to get some flex and not rub.or 33 and 4.56 without the 3 bl

The feeling you get when you get on/off the gas with a locker is the rear is called locker wiggle. At least that is what it seems to have been called over the years.

Soft Suspension, Soft tires, mismatched tire inflation and even alignment can cause the locker wiggle to be more pronounced. I can tell when our rear tires are 2psi different left to right since the locker wiggle is much more pronounced.

You will also noticed locker wiggle if you get on/off/on the gas and your in a sweeping turn (like on a freeway) since when your on the throttle its pushing you outwards (plowing) and when you get off the throttle the locker unlocks and you turn sharper. An extreme example of this is making a u-turn. Make a u-turn and stay on the throttle and 1/2 way through it let off the throttle and you will see how much sharper the truck starts to turn.

Another thing to think of. You will wear your rear tires faster with a locker in the rear and "in theory" you will get slightly lower gas mileage.

When your on the throttle the rear is locked and your on the throttle quite a bit when you drive. So, when the rear is locked your scrubbing the rear tires which is more drag and tire wear.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The feeling you get when you get on/off the gas with a locker is the rear is called locker wiggle. At least that is what it seems to have been called over the years.

Soft Suspension, Soft tires, mismatched tire inflation and even alignment can cause the locker wiggle to be more pronounced. I can tell when our rear tires are 2psi different left to right since the locker wiggle is much more pronounced.

You will also noticed locker wiggle if you get on/off/on the gas and your in a sweeping turn (like on a freeway) since when your on the throttle its pushing you outwards (plowing) and when you get off the throttle the locker unlocks and you turn sharper. An extreme example of this is making a u-turn. Make a u-turn and stay on the throttle and 1/2 way through it let off the throttle and you will see how much sharper the truck starts to turn.

Another thing to think of. You will wear your rear tires faster with a locker in the rear and "in theory" you will get slightly lower gas mileage.

When your on the throttle the rear is locked and your on the throttle quite a bit when you drive. So, when the rear is locked your scrubbing the rear tires which is more drag and tire wear.

~Mark

I get a little wiggle but only when a good song comes on but never noticed my truck doing one with me;) i do feel and understand the push or plow but never get it going straight.the wear is the only bad thing about lockers especially when my tires cost around $300 a piece!!!

Back