• Register Today It's free!

Limited Slip?

Swamp Fox

Reaction score
City, State
Pee Dee Region - SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT 4WD K-flex 4.0 V6
How do you know if you have a limited slip rear end? My Ex was used and don't have an owner's manual. I have an '04 4x4 V6. Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you search for axle codes, youll find your answer, youll need to read the number on your driverside door, itll tell you which you have and then look at that in comparison to the codes on the site

Thanks. I will check it out.

Basically, if the code on your door sticker starts with a "D" its a limited slip. If the code starts with a number 4, its an open diff.

Explorer
Door Code/open or limited slip/ratio
41....….…… Open 8.8"…...….. 3.27
42..…..……. Open 8.8".….…... 4.10
43..……..…. Open 8.8"…..…... 3.08
44..………... Open 8.8"….….... 3.73
45..…..……. Open 8.8".….…... 3.55
46..……..…. Open 8.8".…….... 3.73
D1..……..…. L/S 8.8".…...…... 3.27
D2...…..…… L/S 8.8".…...…... 4.10
D4...….……. L/S 8.8".…...…... 3.73
D5..……..…. L/S 8.8".……...... 3.55

Thanks Mounty. Good info. Appreciate your help.

I have 2002 4.6l v8 with open 3.55 just been reading alot and wanted to know some more FAQs. I dont have advance trac..

1. is there more promlems with this type of setup compared to the LS or 3.73?
2. Is there fluids I can get to make it perform better? How often should it be changed?
3. which is better in the snow?
4. Im wondering if for snow and offroading that I got the worse setup you can get for the explorer....

IMG_1428-1.jpg

Is this information sticker located anywhere else on the vehicle? Mine is unreadable. It appears someone pulled off the plastic part, which then defaces the remaining label making it almost illegible.

Great Info: I am wanting to know the same stuff. Out to the door panel I went. I have the same 45 in the 02 4.0 4x4

Does it have to do with the tow capacity?

Back