• Register Today It's free!

Limited vs Sport suspension

ANGST

Reaction score
City, State
Herndon , VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
What exactly is the "tuned suspension" of the Sport trim entail .

Tried a few searches and did not find anything definitive .

Also other then , suspension , engine , and styling what else is different in the Sport ( brakes ? )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it's spelled out fairly well on ford's website under specs.

basically sport will bring you the 3.5 turbo with more torque, and power.

different transaxle with different gear ratios because of the more torque and power

bigger brakes front and rear (at least on the 2016 - I assume the others too)

bigger wheels standard - because of the brakes

thicker/stiffer anti-roll bars (or sway bars) for crisper turn in, and less body roll under hard turns

and here I'm guessing - different valving in the dampers - probably a progressive rate damper - and potentially different spring rates.

and I'd also guess mild adjustments to the stability control system and abs systems

I drove a Limited for a month and the suspension was pretty good and tight handling wise. I was impressed enough that when I was looking to buy a new SUV I started looking for an Explorer. I test drove a Platinum 15' Sport (6) weeks ago 2 hours later it was mine. The suspension is tighter with a good bit less body roll than the Limited. I also trust it more in the corners in regards to leaving my foot slightly on the gas while accelerating thru the apex. It seems to brake a bit better than the Limited too. As far as the specifics I'll leave that to those that know the platform a bit better as I'm just starting to learn it after driving Jeeps for the last decade. The Sport drives more like the BMW's I drove years ago rather than a 4500lb SUV. In fact, the only other SUV I've driven that feels as good as the Explorer Sport was a 2009 or 2010 Range Rover Sport I borrowed from a friend for a weekend.

I drove a limited and to me it rode smoother then my sport...but the sport is a sportier suspension..so i expected it..but it's nowhere near harsh IMO...just a bit stiffer then other SUVs out there but to be expected

I picked these bits up searching various magazine articles....
  • Quick steering (17-1 ratio ) = 2.7 turns - lock to lock
  • Sport has a 4-point transmission tunnel brace + the front shock towers are tied together = increased lateral stiffness = better steering response and less tendency for structure born noise.
  • Sport’s terrain management system is calibrated to allow 50 percent of the torque to flow to the rear axle in the conventional dry-road setting. Limited AWD in contrast passes 35 percent to the rear.
  • To handle the additional heat generated by the more aggressive torque distribution, the Sport power takeoff unit is water-cooled (pulls water from the main radiator cooling loop).
  • The Sport suspension is optimized for handling with better springs, shocks, sway bars and bushings.
  • The Sport front suspension is lowered by about 5/8”, and the rear uses new "cross-axis" ball joints to improve cornering response.

• Sport has a 4-point transmission tunnel brace + the front shock towers are tied together = increased lateral stiffness = better steering response and less tendency for structure born noise.
  • Sport’s terrain management system is calibrated to allow 50 percent of the torque to flow to the rear axle in the conventional dry-road setting. Limited AWD in contrast passes 35 percent to the rear.
  • To handle the additional heat generated by the more aggressive torque distribution, the Sport power takeoff unit is water-cooled (pulls water from the main radiator cooling loop).
  • The Sport suspension is optimized for handling with better springs, shocks, sway bars and bushings.
  • The Sport front suspension is lowered by about 5/8”, and the rear uses new "cross-axis" ball joints to improve cornering response.
Hi SR71, based on my research before buying my Sport, your post is exactly on point. The Sport is not a trim package, it has real mods that are important to enthusists (like me :D). The only thing missing was HID headlights, but a pair of 9011s at least brought the lighting into a usable range.

Question....you say it gives 50% to the rear in dry setting..but when i put it in torque setting or the power setting on the left screen..it never shows 2 bars in the rear normal driving..it only shows 1 if that

And is the rear not lowered the same amount? I notice my rear sit a bit higher

Hi SR71, based on my research before buying my Sport, your post is exactly on point. The Sport is not a trim package, it has real mods that are important to enthusists (like me :D). The only thing missing was HID headlights, but a pair of 9011s at least brought the lighting into a usable range.

It was my wife's choice , before she drove it she said she didn't care about things like , hp, the turbo and handling , after comparing the too she was hooked :)

When you accelerate quickly from a dead stop (say a red light) on an empty road, the 4WD bars for my rear wheels fill up halfway and then go back to a sliver or empty once I let off the accelerator.

Question....you say it gives 50% to the rear in dry setting..but when i put it in torque setting or the power setting on the left screen..it never shows 2 bars in the rear normal driving..it only shows 1 if that

The EPAS also has a different programming on the Sport for turning/handling.

NY: funny 9011's for ours as well…

PUP: Same observations as NewYork - torque goes up to 50% under load (not at rest). You'd think the ride height would both be the same. Mine measures 32" in front and 33.25" in rear.

Question....you say it gives 50% to the rear in dry setting..but when i put it in torque setting or the power setting on the left screen..it never shows 2 bars in the rear normal driving..it only shows 1 if that And is the rear not lowered the same amount? I notice my rear sit a bit higher

Front and rear are lowered approx 0,4". Put the two side-by-side and the difference is readily apparent...

nice.

question is this also what is under the police interceptor package explorers? or do they get thicker yet sway bars and stiffer springs?

My Limted 4wd sometimes only gives power to the rear when I'm starting depending on the incline. Not sure what this 35% max thing is all about but it's not what I'm seeing.

But i have a tune as well..and i am pretty sure it gives more power to the rears if i am not mistaken

My Limted 4wd sometimes only gives power to the rear when I'm starting depending on the incline. Not sure what this 35% max thing is all about but it's not what I'm seeing.

what they are saying is the plate/disc electronic controlled center diff in the AWD system is run by the ECM/TCM (engine, transmission modules) and in the sport mode it's calibrated to allow more torque split % to the rear, than in the non sport models.

I assume the platinum does as well since same engine combo.

but it's a case of - powerplant makes significantly more torque on demand - thus the driveline needs to absorb it differently. so the splits are calibrated for this.

hope that helps. also note there is no FWD only version with the 3.5ecoboost mill. it would shred that transaxle and perhaps the CV's if it had to push all that torque to just the front wheels.

Back