Limited's 3rd Row. Leather or Pleather? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited's 3rd Row. Leather or Pleather?

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
I assume it's vinyl (pleather:)). Right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep..pleather...actually I think they're all pleather...if you read the manual on how to care for them, you don't use leather cleaner, you use a vinyl cleaner..:thumbdwn:

Kinda weird. It says

In Canada, use Motorcraft Vinyl Cleaner (CXC-93).

and then below that it says

Do not use household cleaning products, alcohol solutions, solvents or cleaners intended for rubber, vinyl and plastics, or oil/petroleum-based leather conditioners.

Maybe they are only shipping the pleather to Canada? :)

No wonder it felt so different... =( I used a cleaner for leather on these seats. Is that bad for the vinyl?

I can't say when leather went to plether, but I had a 94 Lincoln that was leather, the 98 I traded for was pleather & the 01 after that was also.

All models are pleather? The limited i test-drove felt like nice stuff but what do i know

No wonder it felt so different... =( I used a cleaner for leather on these seats. Is that bad for the vinyl?

What product did you use? What strenght? Application? Temperture? A 'cleaner' or 'conditioner'?

so my guess is XLT (with 202A)'s 3rd row seats are also made of pleather....but my concern now is if XLT's 2nd row bench seats are made of leather? please tell me they are!

I would assume the seating surfaces on the Explorer's first and second row are leather. But, only the seating surfaces. The sides and seat backs are pleather.

Wouldn't bet on it. My Mach 1's "leather" seats are pleather..all the way around...

Wouldn't bet on it. My Mach 1's "leather" seats are pleather..all the way around...

Well, unless Ford is falsely advertising, my Monroney Sticker says "LEATHER".

Again, I fully expect that to mean "seating surfaces".

I would assume the seating surfaces on the Explorer's first and second row are leather. But, only the seating surfaces. The sides and seat backs are pleather.

ok, i can live with that; it makes sense to save cost. i was worried about "leather-trimmed seats" only apply to 1st row...

Well if Ford is using real leather anyplace it's not the leather of old, real leather wears & cracks with use, if you trade every three years you can probably get by, but the old cars with real leather looked like hell when they got old.

On the Ford website, for the 302A package, it says "perforated leather trimmed seats." Then it says "heated and cooled front row seats." If that is written properly, it would imply that all the seats are leather trimmed (since it distinguishes the front row seats to be heated and cooled). Reading that, I would conclude that all rows are leather trimmed and only the front row is heated and cooled. In reality is that the case? Could someone with the 302A package verify this?
Thanks.

On the Ford website, for the 302A package, it says "perforated leather trimmed seats." Then it says "heated and cooled front row seats." If that is written properly, it would imply that all the seats are leather trimmed (since it distinguishes the front row seats to be heated and cooled). Reading that, I would conclude that all rows are leather trimmed and only the front row is heated and cooled. In reality is that the case? Could someone with the 302A package verify this?
Thanks.

I agree and confirm.

Back