• Register Today It's free!

Limiting straps?

ExploreDeep

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer XLS sport
Hey guys, my spacer lift from brandon is on the way to me and I was wondering what size limiting strap I should run. I'm keeping my stock control arms for now and replacing my ball joints with mog k8008's. Some people have had the unicup hit the spring some haven't but, I don't really want to take my chances. I know Ronnin said the 12'' strap will work for most but he's running a smaller spacer than I am installing so I don't know if it's going to be the same or I should increase the straps length by an inch or so!

Help would be much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Install the spacers and then measure the length you'll need. Everybody's will be a little different. It all depends on where you decide to weld the mounting tabs.

Install the spacers and then measure the length you'll need. Everybody's will be a little different. It all depends on where you decide to weld the mounting tabs.

Would it be better to weld it closer to the lower ball joint or further away?

Would it be better to weld it closer to the lower ball joint or further away?

You weren't going to weld it to the upper control arm, were you?

Okay good. The way you wrote it made it sound like you were going to.

You'll want the lower mount close to the lower ball joint. If I remember correctly Ronin8002 mounted the top to the frame either right in front of or right behind the strut tower. Use the search and look through his registry for his install. I know her took pictures.

Okay good. The way you wrote it made it sound like you were going to.

You'll want the lower mount close to the lower ball joint. If I remember correctly Ronin8002 mounted the top to the frame either right in front of or right behind the strut tower. Use the search and look through his registry for his install. I know her took pictures.

Thanks. & how's your spacers holding up? I see you run stock balljoints with your spacers. I want to do the same thing, anything weird happening with it?

Thanks. & how's your spacers holding up? I see you run stock balljoints with your spacers. I want to do the same thing, anything weird happening with it?

They didn't hold up at all. The balljoint separated from the arm and almost ripped out.
8F5-0C2DC47448F6-2195-0000014901A6DA63_zps303c4def.jpg

826-8CA753D59959-2195-000001491A48826B_zps37bdf932.jpg

I'm running BTF arms now and I hate myself for driving my daughter around without them. One pothole with the stock arms and they could've blown out. In my opinion you shouldn't run any size spacer without BTF arms. When it comes to safety, money doesn't matter.

91D-F03E4558E9A8-2195-0000014DBE9E1B9D_zps53eecde2.jpg

They didn't hold up at all. The balljoint separated from the arm and almost ripped out.

See what I mean, Deep?

See what I mean, Deep?

Dubya, yes now I understand. Safety is a big risk, especially when this is an everyday driver and I always have my girlfriend, girlfriends younger sister and her friends in my truck.

Maybe it is time to step back and think about safety instead of just throwing things onto my X.

8F5-0C2DC47448F6-2195-0000014901A6DA63_zps303c4def.jpg

826-8CA753D59959-2195-000001491A48826B_zps37bdf932.jpg

I'm running BTF arms now and I hate myself for driving my daughter around without them. One pothole with the stock arms and they could've blown out. In my opinion you shouldn't run any size spacer without BTF arms. When it comes to safety, money doesn't matter.

91D-F03E4558E9A8-2195-0000014DBE9E1B9D_zps53eecde2.jpg

Brian, I aprreciate it.

Back