Lincoln Scores Least Reliable Brand | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lincoln Scores Least Reliable Brand

Spacey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
There are valid criticisms to be made of Consumer Reports, but in their recent vehicle unreliability survey Lincoln finished dead first:

"Ford’s luxury brand Lincoln retains the dubious honor of being the least reliable, with the Aviator being the most egregious offender. It’s a shame, as Lincoln makes some otherwise enjoyable vehicles."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm getting a bad feeling about my Limited. First, it was three weeks for the transmission overhaul. Now, the audio and GPS don't work. We're scheduled for a 2,600 mile road trip in July. I'd hate to make that drive with these aggravations (and who knows what's down the road) hanging over me. Can't even get to the dealer 'til next Saturday. Electronic gremlins can be a PITA to resolve.

I'm considering trading it for a CX-9, but I don't want to go back to front-wheel-drive.

dang!!! makes me more and mroe grateful for my trusty 2nd gen... electrical is by far the most aggravating! sorry to hear about that though with yours!! im wondering if newer cars are heading down this path, as the newer vehicle in the family (ascent) has some small issues, that while not major, just bug me (sometimes front speakers just stop working, have to pull over and restart to rectify), just stuff like that. hope all works out with your limited, however!!!

dang!!! makes me more and mroe grateful for my trusty 2nd gen... electrical is by far the most aggravating! sorry to hear about that though with yours!! im wondering if newer cars are heading down this path, as the newer vehicle in the family (ascent) has some small issues, that while not major, just bug me (sometimes front speakers just stop working, have to pull over and restart to rectify), just stuff like that. hope all works out with your limited, however!!!
My 4th gen is at a little under 135K now - it's had it's share of problems but now that I've worked through them it's not really something I worry about despite it's age and mileage.
Now that we also have a 2022 Explorer I'm just hoping that I'm not starting all over again.
It's not always true that a new vehicle will have fewer problems than an older vehicle. Given the complexity of the newer vehicles it's entirely possible that we may be regressing.
Having said that - we really like our 22 - and I still really like my 07. And I honestly think it's a toss up as to which one will have the most problems this year even though the 22 is brand new.

There are valid criticisms to be made of Consumer Reports, but in their recent vehicle unreliability survey Lincoln finished dead first:

"Ford’s luxury brand Lincoln retains the dubious honor of being the least reliable, with the Aviator being the most egregious offender. It’s a shame, as Lincoln makes some otherwise enjoyable vehicles."
I quit reading anything Consumer Reports has to say when they admitted they never tested Toyotas. The magazine rated them based on reputation. I know the reputation, I want facts and Consumer Reports was paid to provide those facts. They voluntarily failed.

I've had my Aviator for 2 1/2 years now and haven't had any issues. Granted, I'm a very low mileage driver but not all issues involve mileage and I haven't seen any. The vehicle has been great. Lots of power when needed and quiet. My 48-month lease is up in October 2023 but due to low mileage the dealership is always ready to deal at the 36-month mark and I'm already waiting for the 2023 Lincoln Build & Price tool to be set up so I can plan on my next Aviator.

Peter

Like Peter, my Aviator is low mileage and about 2 1/2 years old and without major issues. Some back-up camera stuff that is now almost corrected. Nothing major or out of the ordinary compared to prior cars I have owned. So far, I continue to be very happy with the features, design, comfort and pick-up. It's a wonderful car for a road trip. I think Lincoln did this one right. I will be jealous when Peter gets his '23.

/park

I've had my Aviator for 2 1/2 years now and haven't had any issues. Granted, I'm a very low mileage driver but not all issues involve mileage and I haven't seen any. The vehicle has been great. Lots of power when needed and quiet. My 48-month lease is up in October 2023 but due to low mileage the dealership is always ready to deal at the 36-month mark and I'm already waiting for the 2023 Lincoln Build & Price tool to be set up so I can plan on my next Aviator.

Peter
23 isn’t going to be much different though from what I have read. Still has sync 3.

23 isn’t going to be much different though from what I have read. Still has sync 3.
I believe there are 2 new colours, Diamond Red Tri-coat and Jewel Sandstone Premium Colourant. The front and rear camera washers are gone. I'm sure the cost has also gone up. Yes, no Sync 4. I liked the Burgundy colour but that is also gone. I currently have the Ceramic Pearl with the Roast interior so I would like to change things up a bit.

Peter

I believe there are 2 new colours, Diamond Red Tri-coat and Jewel Sandstone Premium Colourant. The front and rear camera washers are gone. I'm sure the cost has also gone up. Yes, no Sync 4. I liked the Burgundy colour but that is also gone. I currently have the Ceramic Pearl with the Roast interior so I would like to change things up a bit.

Peter
They took out the rear washer too??

From reading this fourm since the new Explorers were announced I sure got the impression that the Lincoln
owners were having a lot less problems/complaints that the Fords.
Saw a new type Ford pick-up and it looks like a full size front with big doors and lots of room in both and back, but a really small bed,which is fine for me. It took off before I could see the model on the front.

i think its not that the fords have mroe issues, its just so many. more of them are sold than lincolns, so theres bound to be more issues, even if the fail rate is the same, there will be mroe explorer failures than lincoln, and as is evident the percentages of lincolns with issues may exceed that of ford, but because so little are sold compared to ford, it doesnt come up too often. similiar to the early models having rollover concernes. imo, they werent any more unsafe than other competitors at the time, but ford sold so many of them that there were bound to be mroe rollovers (all of this is my opinion)

From reading this fourm since the new Explorers were announced I sure got the impression that the Lincoln
owners were having a lot less problems/complaints that the Fords.
Saw a new type Ford pick-up and it looks like a full size front with big doors and lots of room in both and back, but a really small bed,which is fine for me. It took off before I could see the model on the front.
Sounds like the maverick.

Back