Linear vs Variable rate springs

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
I'm finally rebuilding the EB D44 I got for the SAS into my 93, getting parts lists and prices and when I got to coil springs I kind of hit a road bump. Was looking at wildhorses variable rate rock crawler springs and broncograveyard's linear rate springs. I've read info on both, just would like to get a first hand opinion on how each perform. The Explorer most likely will not be doing any kind of serious rock crawling, I do like to drive it on the street so streetability is a must, and I'm looking for decent flex in the springs.

Shoot your opinions and feedback, I'd love to hear it..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well if it was me, I would go with a variable rate spring as with Linear the rate of spring compression is always the same throughout compression of spring. On a variable rate spring, it changes the rate constantly throughout the compression cycle. And that is a added bonus when it comes to load variances. Such as towing, hauling, or passenger increase in vehicle. And the ride comfort in my opinion is much firmer and smoother with a variable rate spring. As with linear, the ride quality never changes and in different environments of driving, could be harsh or jolting to the passengers and you. I would say linear is more of a line of factory spec spring with generic characteristics.

Hope that helps you out.

Whenever you consider springs, think shocks. A varible spring can use a standard shock. Linear spring could use a bypass shock. Either will give a varible performance.

yeah.. after some discussion variable seems the way to go. just never ran a variable rate spring before, ive grown accustomed to the horrible ride and lack of flex from a stiff linear rate ttb lift spring

now to sell the 6" ttb springs i have to get some cash for the wildhorse eb ones

I have a linear rate spring (deaver super flex) and it works well. Flexes great and soaks up the bumps on the street. I was about to go with the wild horses spring when I found the deaver springs. I did some research and found thatfabguy was running a variable rate spring from james duff. I learned the spring rate on the variable spring can be almost to soft. I'd say its preference. I like the springs on my truck, however, im sure i'd say that if I was running the variable rate spring as well. Invest in some good shocks either way. Im running the bilstein 5150's and love them.

Back