Liquid fuel in Evap system. Fuel tank/ lift pump issues? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Liquid fuel in Evap system. Fuel tank/ lift pump issues?

Sthorvictor

Reaction score
City, State
Black Diamond alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer sport
Have had quite a few looks over the past couple weeks for answers to this issue. I apologize if it’s been answered.

For starters picked up a 2013 3.5 eco explorer from auction. 315000km. Was told the turbos had been replaced 15000km ago and the converters have been cut out.
Gave the vehicle a once over. Obvious driveline chassis issues that have been repaired.

However, frequent p2096 fault present not active. Verified the cats had been punched out and someone installed foulers. Replaced both down stream o2 sensors, performed a compression test and replaced the plugs. Compressions 150-160psi. Drove the unit for the week. No issues no faults.

We fuelled the thing up, p2096 as well a fault for the evap purge valve. Like an idiot cleared it and continued to drive it through the tank, no issues. Upon fill up noted a lake of fuel under the car mid fill dripping from the vent line at the body’s cross member. Investigate and count the purge valve to be restricted and not fully opening, also found liquid fuel at the purge valve, disconnect the vapour canister and found it full of fuel. (I do not do the double click at the pumps)

Replaced the evap canister and vent valve as well the purge valve. Cleared fuel from the lines. Drove the car trouble free through the tank. Filled up again no issues, third fill up fuel again fuel at the vent line, car started to buck and kick at cruise and light load. Unplugged the purge valve and the issue went away. Fuel again at the valve. Drained the evap canister and noted fuel siphoning from the evap line from the tank. Also noted while on the driveway backed in fuel leaking from the vent line at the frame.

At this point noted someone had cut a hole in the floor and a fairly new fuel pump installed. ( with the two turbos suspect this has been an ongoing issue) Removed the fuel pump and checked the pass through connector on the pump body, line connected without issues o rings on the internal vent/evap line connector ok. Pass through not cracked. Internal fuel transfer line connected. I blew through and sucked on the evap line and found no restriction either way, if anything heard gurgling on the opposite side of the tank.
Doing some research found there are three valves inside the tank, one at the highest point in the hump and one on each side. With a vent/pressure/evap line connected to all three. As a Hail Mary disconnected the “TEE” fitting and plugged the other two valves i couldn’t access. Reassembled, asides from not being able to fill the tank now, no more fuel in the evap system or lines after running it for a week, no p2096 or any other faults through the course. (Verified by pulling the components apart for a tank swap)

Has anyone come across this issue regarding the tank and internal valving? Or am I missing something along the lines of the fuel transfer pump acting up some way? Would presume it would just flow back to itself across the hump?

I’m a licensed hd/diesel mechanic however, vacuum, evap and gasoline fuel systems are not my expertise by any means. And have learned a lot through this process. I appreciate any input and thoughts.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm not a mechanic so I have to rely on existing info on certain issues.
I don't know if those threads are of any help.
I'm guessing that the Explorer may have been owned previously by one of our members who read a thread on how to cut through the floor to install the pump. LPFP hanger assembly access for DW300c Fuel Pump install
Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm not a mechanic so I have to rely on existing info on certain issues.
I don't know if those threads are of any help.
I'm guessing that the Explorer may have been owned previously by one of our members who read a thread on how to cut through the floor to install the pump. LPFP hanger assembly access for DW300c Fuel Pump install
Good luck.

Peter
Thank you, changed out the full fuel tank assembly with pumps, so far no issue. If there is will chime again.

Just the gutted cats to sort or program out

Back