list of brake parts | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

list of brake parts

This is what I put on both sides of the front, one green counter pack of permatex split over the two sides of the front. I just wasn't exactly sure about it.
Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube ($1.50)

Should I be using this one since I have ceramic pads, or doesn't it matter?
Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant ($1.50)

I am still mystified about the pads not fitting very well. I am going to check them again to make sure I didn't do something stupid like put the back pads on the front. I checked the part number and labeled the boxes before I started but I think it's very odd that the pads wouldn't seat easily, even with the caliper mounting bracket off of the wheel. I figure that once they were in the clips, they should slide back and forth without too much effort.

LMHmedchem

Well I had to replace the sway bar links today so I decided to pull off the brakes and have another look. These pads are just not all that well cast. I put a micrometer on them in a few places and the tabs on the ends are not the same width. On both pads, one end was wider then the other. The difference was only about 10 thou but that is enough to cause problems seating in the slide. Compared to the old pads, these are a bit longer as well. Some of the could be expected to be wear, but I would expect proper parts to just snap right in to place. Even with the caplier brackets off, I could barely get the pads in the clips. Even when I could get them in, they were completely frozen. I couldn't even move them with a hammer. They should slide relatively freely in the slide, so this isn't right.

Anyway, I used the dremmel and micrometer to resize the tabs to about the same as the old pads. After a bit of careful work, I could get the pads in the clips fairly easily and they could slide freely without being loose. I applied a bit of Permatex Ultra to the clips in the slide and after I put the caliper bracket back on, the pads could slide in and out with relative ease.

I took it out for a test drive and it seems to brake well. It stops shorter than it did before, so I guess my front brakes are working now. I guess I will find out when I do the rear brakes tomorrow.

It's a bit disappointing to buy relatively high end pads and have to do so much adjustment to get them working. Hopefully they will last a good long time and work well. If that's the case, I don't care all the much about the installation problems.

LMHmedchem

Back