• Register Today It's free!

List of common rear end clunks

TowingExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Central MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited V8
I replaced the rear struts on my 2006 LTD late last year as the old ones were leaking. I did not have any issues changing them.

I had a hollow clunk prior to the change and it had seemed to go away (or was wishful thinking) but has since returned with a vengeance.

It is possible that I did not tighten down a bolt or two fully, though I'd like to think this is not the case. This being said, including the rear struts, what could be causing a hollow clunking in the rear when going over bumps.

Also, when I tow, I do not believe I hear the clunk at much / at all. But then again, I don't drive the same while I have thousands of pounds pushing me either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just changed out all four struts as well as upper and lower ball joints on my 2006 over the course of the past 3 weeks. I'm trying to think of what could be causing your clunk in the rear. I had one in the front that the lower ball joint replacement got rid of.

Did your sway bar ends go bad or get loose? Dumb question, but might you have something bouncing around in either storage area under the cargo area? Spare tire nice and tight?

I just changed out all four struts as well as upper and lower ball joints on my 2006 over the course of the past 3 weeks. I'm trying to think of what could be causing your clunk in the rear. I had one in the front that the lower ball joint replacement got rid of.

Did your sway bar ends go bad or get loose? Dumb question, but might you have something bouncing around in either storage area under the cargo area? Spare tire nice and tight?
I'm fairly confident it is the rear. Passengers placed randomly throughout the vehicle have agreed.

The spare is a possibility. I have never removed it but I suppose any prior only quite possibly could have.

I'm hoping it is none of the parts I changed. If it is, perhaps the lowest strut bolt is not tight enough, how could I go about checking that without the full weight of the vehicle bouncing down the road?

I really doubt it's the lower strut bolt. Did you check your rear sway arm bushings?

is there a lot of slack in the receiver? (part with the ball on it) could be rocking around, mine used to do this so i took it out unless i was towing

my rear lower shock mounts, the bolt had come a little loose and was also making a similar noise.

jack the rear end up and start trying to wiggle things.

I really doubt it's the lower strut bolt. Did you check your rear sway arm bushings?
I did not check that while I had it apart. Do you think I would be able to visually see the bushing was collapsed or do you think I need to pull the endlinks so I could get free movement of the bar to find out?

Back