little intermittant smoke at y pipe meets header drivers side | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

little intermittant smoke at y pipe meets header drivers side

smegun

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer xlt
been trying to get the pep in the step back on my explorer seems it wants to burn fuel the way it wants too and causes bad hp at times through the range of peddle ive done most of the tune ups

after some b12 cleaning and changing the plugs I have exasborbated fuel burn probs im estimating that I have a clog or inefficient mix getting to the cylinders causing bad burn im not hitting the spot with the recommended tune ups although have more power I still have an issue with intermittent complete burn through the pack of dogs upfront giving me poor acceleration and some minor exhaust noise intermittently 50 percent of the time ... there is no smoke or oil or coolant in the fluids sometimes the truck runs well

looking now for possible reasons
split coil? intake manifold gasket ? bad cat ?

I can replace the coil my next trip but were is the pic tutorial on taking off the plenum and best routs to take on possible manifold leak

one popular mechanic says that the truck is prone to intake manifold leak
and if you think its your cat then run some laquer thinner

clean maf, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new plugs, clean airbox, new pvc valve, new thermostat and flushed radiator new coolant mix, new 130 amp alternator, new full synth oil change, cleaned upper egr passages seem clean tubes passing exhaust and valve seems to hold vacume

Have you replaced the 02 sensors?

I had one loose at least the only 1 I can see just before the cat on the drivers side
probably should re seat it since it dosnt look like it has the red gasket stuff on the threads but still looks fairly new mabe someone didn't seat it right on the change out

I did that some time ago it runs pretty good now but it could be more consistant if I could id lock the brain down I would ... if this was obd2 we would be having more fun with tunes

any other suggestions there is a short time between warm up that the truck seems to run ok but usually I get exhaust farts like one cylinder isn't completing the burn regarding above I bought the truck with sluggish excelleration and have been doing the
maintenance techs

next before dropping exhaust is to buy a new coil and wires and plugs again and look at the set of plugs I bought 2 months ago to see any probs

in advance my suspicion's are exhaust doughnut blocked cat split coil a wall mart factory defect plug or bad semiconductor in brain regarding coil or worst of all exhaust or head gasket

no smoke oil is clean radiator fluid clean no moisture coming from the tail pipe

Back