Little Paint Help Please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Little Paint Help Please

Hey guys
On the way home from work today, I swung by the car wash to hose some of the salt off of my rig. Well the pressure washer blasted a softball size piece of paint off of my rig right above one of the rear tires (surface rust underneath).
I wanted to take a pic of it for you but my camera **** the bed. My rig is black so I know that makes it a little easier to hide things. Well here is the rig I am talking about:
LIFTEDLEFT.jpg

So let me tell you how I was going to go about fixing it, And if you could tell me if I am way off base or on target would be great (I have painted a few things in my time but a paint guru I am not).
I figured I would chip off any remaining loose paint, sand it down to bare sheet metal, skim coat of bondo, Sand the mud smooth, 2 - 3 coats of rattle can primer, 2 coats of rattle can black duplicolor (or whatever its called), One coat of rattle can clear (just in the new painted area) Wet sand the whole panel with 2000 grit. Buff the whole panel with compound ? Rattle can clear the whole panel. Wet sand and polish the whole panel.
Am I way off base here or on the right track? Any input would be great.
Thanks alot
JIGA

I'd recommend not using these "rattle can" jobs. They have a tendency to flake and crack because they don't stick well. I paint everyday, do alot of body work as well.

I'd recommend renting a both for a day (since this is a small job...if you're steady but patient you'll get it done in a day)

If you do a job in your garage you could blow yourself to pieces if a spark catches a fume from the paint lol. Plus ventilation sucks in a garage.

Mix up a pint, quart or even a gallon (if you want to have backup paint for later encounters) of your paint code and clear

Be sure to reduce both of them to the right level.

Also, make sure you find your spray pattern before you paint. You could end up painting to straight shot or to spread and it'll take longer to paint an even layer. Make sure if you mix your own paint that you blend well or you'll really see the difference if the stock paint is faded or you mixed the paint wrong.

Sanding with 2000 is a good idea because chances are you'll get air bubbles or dirt and need to sand it down. If you sand make sure you buff with some 3M rubbing compound and polisher.

Also a friendly tip: Since you will need plastic filler on the paneling, try guide coating to fund any high or low spots in your mud. It'll save you grieving after your finished and see waves in your body line lol. You can guy 3M powder guide coating or you can spray light coats of basically a rattle can black.

Wet sand that down and if you still see black, then you have a low spot, or if you have circles of if and a blank spot on in the middle, you have a high spot.

Hope this helps bud =)

P.S. - before you start working on the filler, grease and wax remover is a big friend to stop flaking.

Anytime JIGA ;)

Back