• Register Today It's free!

Live data video of my truck

intheric

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4WD
I finally got 2 videos up on the screen record when driving my truck around. Anyone able to decipher what these mean.

Video 1 was a few weeks ago.
Video 2 was last week.

The peaks are when I accelerate. looks like to me a sensor isn’t working. Runs fine at start up. Drive it around. Come back and park and shut down. Try restarting it but will stall

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it a '99? Engine type? 2WD or 4WD, which one? Mileage? What do you mean by "stall?" Provide more detail. Fuel filter was last changed when? Fuel pump ever been replaced? Any repairs done to it recently?

Sorry. I have other posts on here about the work done on my car. I did this early this morning after not being able to sleep. Now I’m groggy and gotta get ready for work. I’ll post those links below

Link to my posts

recently when I’ve taken it out, it doesn’t sputter much when I put it in park. I can let it idle without seeing the needle jump. When I cut the truck off and try to restart, the engine will turn but not start. I don’t repeat this Over and over just so I don’t do any harm. I now get the code p1121 which you see at the end of the longer video.

it’s a 99 Ford Explorer

P1121 - Throttle Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage.

At your next hot-engine start, turn the key to the ON position and listen for the fuel pump. Do you hear it hum for 1-2 seconds as it pressurizes the system?

Then, push the gas pedal about 1/4. Hold it there and crank the engine. Does the engine start right up?

At your next hot-engine start, turn the key to the ON position and listen for the fuel pump. Do you hear it hum for 1-2 seconds as it pressurizes the system?

Then, push the gas pedal about 1/4. Hold it there and crank the engine. Does the engine start right up?

Thanks for the tip! I’ll try this when I get home from work. And being a novice, I take it a hot engine start would be after I’ve driven it around? I don’t drive it now as I don’t want something to happen to or from work, or bugger something else up. I take it for a spin every few days Around the block to keep it running.

Afternoon,

managed to take the truck out before the storm comes in. Started fine. Drove fine. Coming up the drive it was hesitant and idled very low when I parked it. I cut it off. Waited a few seconds, turned the key, and I did hear the hum, pressed the gas peddle in some and started it. It ran and didn’t give any signs of stalling. Once I took my foot off the gas, it idled real low. Like lower then I’ve seen it. I pressed the gas and it revved up, but the conked out.

Drive around the block

Start up after cut off

Took it for another spin around the block today. Only thing I noticed is coming up the drive way now (it’s a incline) is when I pushed the gas peddle down, it was very hesitant to respond. I parked it and it only dropped once and caught back up. I turned it off, waited a few seconds. Turned key, heard the pump, pressed gas alittle and it started right back up. Idled a little wonky. I put it in drive with the break on, and it wanted to stall, then neutral which ran fine, reverse had no issues either. Then back to park. Waited a few seconds, then repeated. This time it stalled completely when I put it in reverse. At that time I parked it and will let it rest for a few. I do need to wash it so later I’ll see if I can start it and move to the front where the hose is.

Replace the TPS.

ok. I’ll look into this TPS and see what’s all involved with that.
Thanks again. I’m sure I’ll have a follow up soon 👍🏻

Replace the TPS.
Just looking right now, and I know to get OEM ford motorcraft parts, but this is what I need to get, correct?

Attachments

• 102CF1A9-2724-45FC-9716-A8CAFABF6E31.png
    102CF1A9-2724-45FC-9716-A8CAFABF6E31.png
    381 KB · Views: 141

Unless I missed it, you never stated what engine your '99 Explorer has, nor whether it's a 2- or 4-door, nor whether it's a 2WD or a 4WD. Thus, I can't definitively help you. However, having said that, here are some tips:

1. Get off of Amazon. There's a chance you'll end up with counterfeit parts. You don't want to take the time and effort to do a repair, and then find out that you have to do it again because the part is counterfeit.

2. Get a new TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) made by Motorcraft. Get the new sensor based specifically on the number/s stamped on your current sensor.

3. Typically, not being able to be specific to your truck, the TPS is located on the throttle body. In the image below, the TPS is the black-colored part on the left side of the metal-colored throttle body.

4. To find the correct part, try this website: Ford & Lincoln OEM Parts | Ford Parts Direct

1599475909247.png

Unless I missed it, you never stated what engine your '99 Explorer has, nor whether it's a 2- or 4-door, nor whether it's a 2WD or a 4WD. Thus, I can't definitively help you. However, having said that, here are some tips:

1. Get off of Amazon. There's a chance you'll end up with counterfeit parts. You don't want to take the time and effort to do a repair, and then find out that you have to do it again because the part is counterfeit.

2. Get a new TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) made by Motorcraft. Get the new sensor based specifically on the number/s stamped on your current sensor.

3. Typically, not being able to be specific to your truck, the TPS is located on the throttle body. In the image below, the TPS is the black-colored part on the left side of the metal-colored throttle body.

4. To find the correct part, try this website: Ford & Lincoln OEM Parts | Ford Parts Direct

View attachment 321019
It’s a 4.0, 4 door 4 wheel drive

SOHC, or OHV... which one? How many miles?

SOHC, or OHV... which one? How many miles?

finally back up!

1999 Ford Explorer 4WD 6 Cylinders X 4.0L MFI OHV 245 CID. Around 250,000 miles.

I got a new TPS and installed it. Started fine. Couple spurts but it smoother out. Set up the code reader and did another life data screen record. I took it for a drive and it ran great. Actually took it out for a few trips around the block. Came back home and it went fine up the hill. Parked it and let it run. It wanted to stall for a second then caught it self. There was no sputtering or anything after that. I was messing with the app to clear out the sensor error code and right then it just cut off. Then it started raining and I went inside. I didn’t try restarting it. Should have. Today it was pouring so no attempt.

here’s a link to my drive. The sensor that’s reading 0%. How can I tell what sensor that is to replace it?

thanks for all your help!

finally back up!

1999 Ford Explorer 4WD 6 Cylinders X 4.0L MFI OHV 245 CID. Around 250,000 miles.

I got a new TPS and installed it. Started fine. Couple spurts but it smoother out. Set up the code reader and did another life data screen record. I took it for a drive and it ran great. Actually took it out for a few trips around the block. Came back home and it went fine up the hill. Parked it and let it run. It wanted to stall for a second then caught it self. There was no sputtering or anything after that. I was messing with the app to clear out the sensor error code and right then it just cut off. Then it started raining and I went inside. I didn’t try restarting it. Should have. Today it was pouring so no attempt.

here’s a link to my drive. The sensor that’s reading 0%. How can I tell what sensor that is to replace it?

thanks for all your help!
Quick trip around the block. Going to start driving it more frequently like this. Still not a daily driver back and forth to work. Still needs a sticker for that. got a couple click at first start. Then tried again and started right up. Shaked some then simmered down.

Here’s a link to my drive. The sensor that’s reading 0%. How can I tell what sensor that is to replace it?
There's no link. You didn't include the link. Now, having said that, the data that reads "0%" could be caused by the OBD scanner reporting data for a sensor that your truck doesn't have.

There's no link. You didn't include the link. Now, having said that, the data that reads "0%" could be caused by the OBD scanner reporting data for a sensor that your truck doesn't have.
The link shows at the bottom. At least on my phone it pops up

YouTube link -

Attachments

• 4BBFBB21-2E9F-4CB5-B131-C77AABCA2FB0.jpeg
    4BBFBB21-2E9F-4CB5-B131-C77AABCA2FB0.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 54

When I say that the link is missing, I'm referring to your post dated Thursday 10:26 PM, not your post dated Saturday at 4:49 PM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

‘99 Explorer 4-Door 4WD 4.0L OHV, Engine VIN X, 250,000 miles.

The video of the OBD data shows the following oxygen sensors:
  • “O2S1 (B1).” This is passenger-side upstream, or 1-1. Data is being reported.
  • “O2S2 (B1).” This is passenger-side downstream, or 1-2. No data is being reported.
  • “O2S1 (B2).” This is driver-side upstream, or 2-1. Data is being reported.

Based on the data, you need to fix the downstream oxygen sensor.

Back