Live Stream of 2020 Ford Explorer Reveal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Live Stream of 2020 Ford Explorer Reveal

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, wtf did they do with that dashboard. I'm sorry but that's a huge fail. I like the rest though.

This is a joke right? That's not real...that can't be real...no way! Someone just plopped an ipad down and said put it there and the engineers took the person literally?!?!? I can't look away...it's so...so.... It's like New Coke...or IHOB...it's a viral marketing thing, right? Dear God no!!!

view

why is ford making Toyota Highlander?

This is a joke right? That's not real...that can't be real...no way! Someone just plopped an ipad down and said put it there and the engineers took the person literally?!?!? I can't look away...it's so...so.... It's like New Coke...or IHOB...it's a viral marketing thing, right? Dear God no!!!

view

Yeah, they should cut off that screen where the dash board begins, that screen looks so awkward in height. It looks like they simply attached an I pad in the middle. Maybe in person it will look better but I don't know. They should at least turned that screen 180 degrees it would look better.

That's the screen that blwnsmoke mentioned in another thread; 2020 Explorer

Peter

I'm all for a nice big screen, but yikes! How about build it into the dash better? And look at the starter button placement. Sorry, but Ford REALLY screwed the dash up.

So, the 2020 Explorer comes with either an 8" inch horizontal or a 10" vertical center screen. Maybe the 10" is like Wendy's triple-burger. When Wendy's introduced their triple-burger, they didn't (and still don't) sell that many, but sales of their double-burger skyrocketed. Its purpose wasn't to sell triples, it was to make doubles seem OK to order...'cause you're not some fat slob eating a triple. Maybe the 10" vertical is like that...its purpose is to make the 8" horizontal seem reasonable.

So, the 2020 Explorer comes with either an 8" inch horizontal or a 10" vertical center screen. Maybe the 10" is like Wendy's triple-burger. When Wendy's introduced their triple-burger, they didn't (and still don't) sell that many, but sales of their double-burger skyrocketed. Its purpose wasn't to sell triples, it was to make doubles seem OK to order...'cause you're not some fat slob eating a triple. Maybe the 10" vertical is like that...its purpose is to make the 8" horizontal seem reasonable.
It's still gonna look weird. It seriously looks like they decided last month to just place a tablet there.

When I worked at Wendy's in the early 90's we sold a bunch of 3/4 lb triples, mostly to road construction crews though.

When I worked at Wendy's in the early 90's we sold a bunch of 3/4 lb triples, mostly to road construction crews though.

Likewise, I'm sure there are a lot of young, millennial, Tesla-enviers, who would love having their living room TV mounted center-dash.

Speaking purely on aesthetics....

The interior looks somewhat promising, but I'd pass on the iPad and the dial-transmission shifting knob. The exterior side profile has potential, and so does the rear for the most part. But I'm perplexed by the rear tail lights--my initial reaction was "uhhhhhhh. okay. The 2016-2019 tails look better." I'm mostly lost on the exterior front.... A 2012 Toyota Highlander eyes and cheek bones, with a Jaguar F-Pace mouth and jaw line? So much for creativity and ingenuity Ford. I'd stick with a 2016-2019 Explorer until the 2020 gets another exterior "refresh."

I want to see if there is enough room under the hood to shoehorn a coyote in there. A 4000+ lb RWD suv should have a V8 option. Maybe in a year or two, Ford will wise up and offer one.

I want to see if there is enough room under the hood to shoehorn a coyote in there. A 4000+ lb RWD suv should have a V8 option. Maybe in a year or two, Ford will wise up and offer one.

Again, Ford does not need a V8 with the hybrid powertrain offering.

ST interior and exterior.. best looking one..

c0bff0f6-5454-4184-9bf7-98eb38a7a350-explorer01.jpeg
7f3f4bb3-6ff2-471f-a54b-1ba82e21a043-explorer07.jpeg

Again, Ford does not need a V8 with the hybrid powertrain offering.

Not everyone wants a hybrid, whats wrong with wanting a traditional N/A V8 that makes 400+ hp all motor.

Not everyone wants a hybrid, whats wrong with wanting a traditional N/A V8 that makes 400+ hp all motor.
Sales expectations. If it was truly what the market wanted, they’d make it. Plus it hurts their fleet MPG rating. V8s are going the way of drum brakes and distributors.

The portrait screen is stupid. If you are going to have a big, stupid screen, put it lower and integrate the HVAC controls into it. Lazy engineering. They are just copying the tablet trend, and assuming they’ll do it better by making it bigger.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not quite a fan of the screen or if it is any better than the one in the Aviator. It seems to be following the trend of other manufacturers. Other than that, I like the vehicle.
It’s not “all motor”.
Not sure if you are referring to the Hybrid but the Lincoln has a 3.0L Ecoboost capable of 400 HP and 400 lb-ft torque with no hybrid assist. That is what the Continental has.

Peter

Back