Livernois Tuner with 90k miles?

Matt.s1287

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2014 Sport that got at the end of August. She has 90k on the odometer but the carfax is showing the explorer has been well cared for since new. I am the third owner.

I have purchased and replaced the spark plugs and boots to complete a tune up. I got the sp580s gapped to 32.

My question is- is 90k too many miles to start tuning the vehicle? Or should I perform more of a tune up first to prep the explorer?
Once tuned, I was going to do intake, throttle body spacer and cat back. If I do a tune I would be doing new tstat and 3bar map.

Any input would help. I have. Tuned cars before and have done mods on previous vehicles with no issues, but none with 90k.

Thanks!

The rule I followed over decades of modding vehicles is "If you can't afford a catastrophic failure due to increasing power output then it is best to leave things alone." Increasing power will show where your weakest links are if something is amiss with your drive train. Mileage, maintenance etc. matters regarding reliability but this is not a given. IMO, if you are willing to risk having to replace the engine, turbos etc., and have the funds to do it, then go for it.

The rule I followed over decades of modding vehicles is "If you can't afford a catastrophic failure due to increasing power output then it is best to leave things alone." Increasing power will show where your weakest links are if something is amiss with your drive train. Mileage, maintenance etc. matters regarding reliability but this is not a given. IMO, if you are willing to risk having to replace the engine, turbos etc., and have the funds to do it, then go for it.
Thanks Eddie. My mechanic said it looks solid during the once over. I might just do CBE and CAI and see from there.

IYO would a throttle body spacer help or is it not worth it if I’m not doing a tune?

Thanks Eddie. My mechanic said it looks solid during the once over. I might just do CBE and CAI and see from there.

IYO would a throttle body spacer help or is it not worth it if I’m not doing a tune?
Aside from the chain driven water pump, the 3.5L is a stout reliable engine. If I had to guess, the rest of the drive train might be where problems could lie along with the turbos, waste gates etc. At 90k I wouldn't be surprised if a turbo issue occurs sometimes soon. It seems to me that a lot of turbos don't tend to last more than 100k-120k miles before a major repair is needed. There are many Explorer Sport owners here that can give you better advice regarding specific problems that can occur and what you can do to avoid them.

Back