Load Range E tires?

jray95

Reaction score
City, State
Arbovale, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hello,

I did a search and didn't find anybody discussing this, (there's probably a reason for that, LOL) but has anyone ever run a set of load range E tires on a 2002-2005 Explorer?

I have a chance at a smokin' deal on a set of 265/75-16 Goodyear Silent Armors but they're load range E's. As I understand it, that size will fit (I did find that doing a search!) but I was wondering how horrible the ride would be with those heavy duty tires.

Has anybody tried this yet??

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I currently run 265/75/16 with a load range E and it's not a huge difference. With all that tire and the right air pressure, it should be kinda soft and flex.

A lot of folks complain about poor tire wear on their Explorers and Sport Tracs. I suspect the weight of these tanks greatly contributes to that. My theory is using a higher load rating tire would extend wear greatly over the "D" rated ones. I'm going to try Load "E" tires on mine next time. You may notice a little harsher ride but I think the added tire mileage would be worth it. IMO>

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll go for it then. I appreciate the info!

A lot of folks complain about poor tire wear on their Explorers and Sport Tracs. I suspect the weight of these tanks greatly contributes to that. My theory is using a higher load rating tire would extend wear greatly over the "D" rated ones. I'm going to try Load "E" tires on mine next time. You may notice a little harsher ride but I think the added tire mileage would be worth it. IMO>

an ex is 200 lbs over a crown vic, and thats a passenger car tire..... srsly dude....

the poor tire wear is poor tire maintenance. lack of rotations, improper air pressure etc.

Well I agree that the things you mention are probably the most common causes of premature tire wear. There are some substantial differences in 4x4 and CV suspension geometry. I've had 3 Interceptors myself and spent 30 years with a government fleet maintenance department keeping everything from Cushman scooters to earth movers operating. Weight combined with suspension geometry does vary tire wear characteristics. Put a 4x4 and a CV into sharp turns and you'll notice the difference. srsly dude....

I'll put my $.02 in. I ran "D" tires for two different sets, mostly because the sizes I wanted weren't available in passenger tires. When I turned the Mounty over for the wife to drive and put it to stock height, I put a set of passenger tires- I.E. no load rating on it. The ride was significantly better, IMO. They were more of a milder all terrain tire versus the more aggressive tires I was running before, that could have had an impact too. My personal opinion is I'd be wary of putting "E" tires on a 5,000 lb vehicle.

To each his own.............

Well I agree that the things you mention are probably the most common causes of premature tire wear. There are some substantial differences in 4x4 and CV suspension geometry. I've had 3 Interceptors myself and spent 30 years with a government fleet maintenance department keeping everything from Cushman scooters to earth movers operating. Weight combined with suspension geometry does vary tire wear characteristics. Put a 4x4 and a CV into sharp turns and you'll notice the difference. srsly dude....

considering you dont drive with 4x4 on pavement.... what does this have anything to do with it?

last i checked most streets are paved, or asphalt. and most 4x4 suv's or even ever 4x4 runs in 4x2 less its snow......

Whether you have 4x4 engaged or not does not affect suspension geometry. C'mon!

Whether you have 4x4 engaged or not does not affect suspension geometry. C'mon!

i was giving him the benefit of the doubt and just going with the lock up how the wheels speed is the same on turns causing the outer wheel to skip, bounce, and wear faster then the inner.

Don't get me wrong, I do not totally disagree with you. Those Goodyears ARE hefty tires and they have a 3400 lb MAX load rating at 80 psi MAX pressure. But it doesn't have to be run at MAX pressures. My '05 & '08 E250's came with, and I ran, E rated tires. It's curb weight was 5195 lbs, not a great amount over what these Explorers and Sport Tracs are. I rarely loaded it heavily and got 65-70K highway miles out of a set of tires. The '05 4.6L/4.10 got 18 mpg's! I credit the stiff tires with that too, partially.

It's all in what you prefer!

Don't forget tire weight

Load Range E tires in 31" - 32" diameters (the range I'm checking for my 95 Sport) run around 50 lb - that is like ten lb heavier than "passenger type" load C tires. 20 - 25% more unsprung weight is a lot more load on the engine/brakes. I have noticed the extra grunt required on a different application. Keeping tire weight close to 40 lb/tire is a key feature for my next Explorer tires.

Just run them, I hate seeing the bulging passenger car tires on my grand mothers sporttrac, I'm getting her a set of truck tires they WILL last longer, and will be better on these coming winter roads.

Just run them, I hate seeing the bulging passenger car tires on my grand mothers sporttrac, I'm getting her a set of truck tires they WILL last longer, and will be better on these coming winter roads.
Ya suuuure? Cauz E-rated tires ride much stiffer and you're grandmothers back/neck might not appreciate the stiffer sidewalls. Remember that the tire is part (and is the first part) of the vehicle's suspension. E-rated tires are typically for 3/4 to 1 ton vehicles - like the F-250/360 and E-250/E-350. As for them being better in winter roads, that's not so much an attribute of the tire rating but rather compound, pressure, vehicle weight, and sipping design. Drivers will often find that larger "trucks" drive better in winter conditions usually because such vehicles are significantly heavier, which means that their tires can get better grip and penetrate the snow to the asphalt.

Well her sport trac rides SO soft as it is.. she doesn't complain about her back hurting or anything, it's the fact that the tires roll side to side WAY to easily... with perfect suspension having under 100K still on it, it shouldn't act like my lifted sport with a broken swaybar link. I'm getting D's for it.. I'm not going E's, but if someone else wants to do, go for it.. I would if I was getting a deal on them..

Ya suuuure? Cauz E-rated tires ride much stiffer and you're grandmothers back/neck might not appreciate the stiffer sidewalls. Remember that the tire is part (and is the first part) of the vehicle's suspension. E-rated tires are typically for 3/4 to 1 ton vehicles - like the F-250/360 and E-250/E-350. As for them being better in winter roads, that's not so much an attribute of the tire rating but rather compound, pressure, vehicle weight, and sipping design. Drivers will often find that larger "trucks" drive better in winter conditions usually because such vehicles are significantly heavier, which means that their tires can get better grip and penetrate the snow to the asphalt.

Oh and I said truck tires, never said E's..

Thanks for bumping this thread!

I meant to come back here and follow up but never got around to it.

I did end up buying the tires, and finally got around to installing them about a month ago, and they seem to be just fine. Speedo seems slightly off which is to be expected. Otherwise the ride is pretty much the same and no clearance issues so far.

I know this thread is VERY OLD but I have E rated tires on my X-sport and because I got a great deal on them.....what I have noticed; I do not get tossed around as much with cross wind gusts.....with my current gears being 3.73 I do notice a bug difference with gas mileage but that is it. The not feeling the cross winds has made my trips much more enjoyable as my wife is a nervous nelly in the truck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back