Location of Heated O2 Sensors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Location of Heated O2 Sensors

Jayson

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to order new heated O2 sensors for the left and right side for my 1993 Ford Explorer. However, looking through my Haynes manual has left me wondering just where the heck the sensors are located? Do any of you have any experience or tips you can give me for the removal and replacement of these?

Many thanks,
Jayson

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yoru Explorer should only have one O2 sensor. It is located in the exhaust pipe just prior to the cats.

mrboyle,

Ok, I got the following codes from my Explorer: 172-176-157 and here's what they mean.

172: Heated Oxygen Sensor indicates lean condition, right side

176: Heated Oxygen Sensor indicates lean condition, left side

157: Mass Air Flow Sensor below minimum voltage

The way I understand to repair my Explorer is to pull the MAF sensor off, clean it with throttle body cleaner (if too dirty I will just replace) and then remove and replace the left and right side heated O2 sensors. Am I on the right track?

Ref: Haynes Manual 1991-95 Explorer CH6 PG6 under 3 digit trouble codes.

Thanks,
Jayson

[This message has been edited by Jayson (edited 04-14-2000).]

OK, On my 94 XLT I have "2" O2 sensors. They are located on the exhaust Y-Pipe before the left and right join togather. They are more on top of the pipe to keep from dragging. I just bought 2 of them for $45 a piece a Autozone. The wires from the sensors go up towards the back of the bellhousing and I can't see the connectors to unclip.

1) You do have 2 sensors

2) They are easy to see, but you have to trace the wires.

3) I wish I could afford to have someone else do it.

------------------
Rob Robertson
94 XLT 4X4 4 door
5.5" Superlift,RS9000s,Warn manual hubs,31 X 11.5's
"Take the road less traveled, surprise a Jeep"

Is this going to be an all day job Rob? I might look into having the mechs do it if it's going to be a real pain in the butt. What do you think about cleaning the MAF sensor, is it an easy job? Oh yeah, what tools will I need to R&R the O2 sensors if choose to do it myself?

Thanks,
Jayson

Sorry about that. I haven't been under any '93-'95's lately. My '92 only has one. The tools needed are a good quality open/box wrench of the correct size and long arms with small hands. It is a job that can be done by anyone with a little determination. The most difficult part is disconnecting and reconecting the electrical terminal as it can be hadr to get to.

I agree with Mrboyle, Good open end wrench, maybe some penetrating oil and patience. I havn't cleaned my MAF so no advice there but the instructions on this site for cleaning are great. Should be an easy job.

Good luck

------------------
Rob Robertson
94 XLT 4X4 4 door
5.5" Superlift,RS9000s,Warn manual hubs,31 X 11.5's
"Take the road less traveled, surprise a Jeep"

Clean the MAS sensor with the Valvoline Throttle Body/Intake Cleaner. To remove the MAS, you may need a security torx bit size 20. This bit has a hole in the middle. When you pull out the sensor, be careful to watch for the small rubber ring seal. I pulled the complete housing off and used a brush to clean it out. While I was at it, I removed my throttle body and cleaned that as well. Runs a little more smoothly now. Replacing the O2 sensor is next on my list. I thought reading in my repair manual that the 1992 has two. I will have to check with ford to make sure.

------------------
Ogden, Utah
1992 XLT

I think I had better take mine back to Ford. They forgot to put the 2nd O2 sensor in mine Dead Link Removed. Funny thing about it, they forgot to drill and tap the pipe to fit the 2nd one in also Dead Link Removed. Mine just has the 1 sensor Dead Link Removed.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4

I used to be schizophrenic, but we're OK now...No we aren't...Yes we are... shut up.

My Chiltons claims that the 1991-1995 use 2 sensors and the 1996-2000 use 4 sensors!

------------------
TravisN1@AOL.COM
1995 XLT 4x4
80,000 miles
K&N Drop-in
Bosch +4's
BFG Long Trails
Have a nice day! :)

I'll clarify as I have my Chilton's open...

There are two (2) HO2S on the 91-95 V6 engines - 1 on each down pipe before the cats

Use of a good penetrant (hehehehe) is a must; I use PB Blaster which is WAY BETTER than WD 40 or Liquid Wrench - let sit on for about 30 mins.

Before going thru the replacement gig, clean the MAF and check the sensors to make sure they're bad.

Back